Is there such a thing as "too much" filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polar_Bus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,
I was recently given a complete 90 gal freshwater aquarium. The previous owner was using 2 Fluval 404 filters. Is this a favorable setup, or not? Also whats your opinions on undergravel filters? I am dancing back and fourth on a SW and FW setup. (If I do go FW it will be large spicies (sharks, arrowanas, cats) etc... Thanks for your input!
Rich

IMO UGF filters are an outdated and somewhat ineffective technology as they are hard to clean which leads to alot of clogs, and also create harmful toxins when dirt builds up under them. With the filter technology today the need for the biological filtration that UGF provide isnt need because canister, HOB, etc all have sufficient filtration. Fluvals are very nice filters and should supply you with more then enough filtering. Now deciding between SW and FW is up to you so choose one that you know you cna do. Youll also need additional equipment if you go freshwater.

I agree. You don't need an UGF and IMO it will be more trouble than it's worth. You'll be fine if you stick with the Fluvals. But, I'm afraid even a 90 gallon is too small for an arowana.

Two fluvals on a 90 gal is not too much. I have two on a 55 gal! I also would skip the UGF and just use the canisters. Careful, some species (tin foil barbs) get too large for even a 90 gal set up!

Arowana's are huge fish and would get too big for a 90g. They need a very long and wide tank.

A 90G would make a great cichlid tank. Or of you decide on planting, would be an awsome size for a decked out South American landscape tank. And if you decided on SW, lots of options there too. So much to choose from. :)

UGF's do keep your tank looking cleaner, but you have to make sure that you get the stuff out from under the plate when you clean. Sticking the siphon hose down the uptube sucks more junk than any gravel vac. You could even hook one of the canisters to your ugf for a constant gravel vac.

That said, my next tank will not have a UGF, because UGF's are not very practical for planted tanks unless you pot the plants. Thats I what I do in my current tank. If you are going with large fish, plants probably wouldn't survive anyway.

Back
Top Bottom