Is this a full stock for a 30g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fins

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We are currently in the process of setting up a 30 gallon tall tank that is an upgrade to our 20 long.

Current stocking in the 20 gallon:

5 glass catfish
7 harlequin rasboras
1 long-fin albino BN
1 male swordtail
1 glofish
3 otos

Planned to add once upgraded:
3 rasboras
2 otos

We're wondering if this stocking will fill up a 30 tall. Will we have room to add anything else? (We will not be buying more glofish as this guy is our last remaining out of 6 and we're over them at this point.)

More details, if they make a difference in this: Filter on the 30 will probably be an AquaTech 30-60, if not two, as we already have them laying around, and it'll be planted with Eco-complete capped potting soil.

I posted a similar topic in the getting started forum but I don't think I made it very clear exactly what I was asking. Hopefully this is better.

I have 87 fish in my 60g tank have had for 2 years more fish more water changes that's all

WOW, what kind of fish? You must do water changes every day lol.

Im not sure about your stock, it sounds good to me besides the fact glo fish like to be in groups. So either cut down the amount of glass catfish and/or rasboras and get more glo fish or hold off on glo fish until the upgrade.

Again im not 100% positive, maybe you could just add a few glofish on top of your current ideas for stock, but make sure you can have a group of atleast 4-5 of glofish. :)

Thank you for the advice but like I said in my original post, we will not be getting more glofish. This guy has had from 3-5 friends in the past but they've all passed on from old age at this point. I expect he isn't too far behind but for now he's happily playing with the rasboras and following the swordtail around. :)

30 Gallon Stocking

Hello fins...

I've always figured a couple of gallons of water for every inch of adult sized fish. This rule gives me a little "wiggle" room and seems to work. I'm also a water change fanatic. I change half the water in my tanks every week, so I don't need to worry about the water chemistry going south because my tank is a bit overstocked. I'm a Fancy Guppy and Corydoras fan. I don't have to worry about my fish getting too large and messy for the tank.

Just my opinion, though.

B

Thank you for the advice but like I said in my original post, we will not be getting more glofish. This guy has had from 3-5 friends in the past but they've all passed on from old age at this point. I expect he isn't too far behind but for now he's happily playing with the rasboras and following the swordtail around. :)

Ok! :) Sorry I must have missed that part :facepalm:

WOW, what kind of fish? You must do water changes every day lol.

All sorts if u go to a fish shop they have hundreds in a little tank all tanks into the same filter sistem I filter to 5micron and use bionitratex in my sump and change 20% ever 2 mouths

All sorts if u go to a fish shop they have hundreds in a little tank all tanks into the same filter sistem I filter to 5micron and use bionitratex in my sump and change 20% ever 2 mouths

Well I think the reason fish stores are able to do that is partially bc the fish come and go so quickly. But you do have a lot more equipment than most hobbyists. Is it a cichlid tank?

Well I think the reason fish stores are able to do that is partially bc the fish come and go so quickly. But you do have a lot more equipment than most hobbyists. Is it a cichlid tank?

No angles barbs neons frog bunble bees all sorts I'm not claiming to be a master but the proof is in the pudding my fish are all happy and breeding

You can have more fish in a smaller tank if they have low bioloads and you have a good filtering system an do lots of water changes. I know a guy with a planted 90 gallon tank with about 130 little tetras and rasboras. He's had it for years, and the fish do great. The plants also help eat up some of the ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom