Is this a Goldie or a Koi?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Typow07

Aquarium Advice Regular
I adopted a beautiful fish from a friend of myn who said he has had this fish since it was a tiny feeder, now he's 6 or 7 years old and 8" long. I was told by a lady at the LFS that he's a KOI and not a Goldie.. Anyone have a opinion for what he may be, he is the best looking goldfish I've ever seen lol.

Attachments

• image-23795685.jpg
    image-23795685.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 106
Here is some what of a better picture. My ipad does not take quality pics... lame 5mp camera lol

ForumRunner_20120325_214448.jpg

He looks like a shubikin(however you spell it XD) or maybe a comet.
They don't get as big as a koi, but just as beautiful.

He does have tiny barbs at the corners of his mouth, I cannot tell if those are his lips or wiskers lol. I've never seen a Koi with such long flowing fins either.

I will get better pictures tomorrow, the ones I have do not do him justice. He is a very beautiful fish, I rescued him from a tank with no filter, no light and looked like no cleaning in a very long time. There was about 3" of gravel and 3" of fish waste on the bottom. He's very happy now in a much larger tank.

Its a VERY pretty fish! I've read that only koi's have the whiskers but I've also read that only goldies can have the fantails, not sure if the last statement is true because I had purchased a fantail koi from the pet shop or at least she had it labeled as a koi. IMO I believe that it is a koi.

Thank you for your help, I'll get some better pics tomorrow after i work on his tank. I wonder if he will eat some of the ridiculous number of baby guppies I have in my 55g lol

My koi ate anything and everything, and when I say everything I really mean it lol he would even try to eat poop right as the other goldies were pushing it out ewww......

I cant tell from the pics but look at the corners of his mouth- is there a whisker(s)? If so (i believe there are), he or she is a butterfly (long-finned) koi. :)

Looks like a shubunkin goldfish to me.(google images of koi and look at the shape of the face, they are not round like that at all) I'm not a goldfish expert though, I do have a koi and a few fancies.

If it's a koi then it looks severely stunted.

Typow07 said:
I adopted a beautiful fish from a friend of myn who said he has had this fish since it was a tiny feeder, now he's 6 or 7 years old and 8" long. I was told by a lady at the LFS that he's a KOI and not a Goldie.. Anyone have a opinion for what he may be, he is the best looking goldfish I've ever seen lol.

I would say a shunbunkin because he has metallic and dull scales.

Back
Top Bottom