Is this a good fluval 405 set up and maintainance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is this a good fluval 405 set up and maintenance?
Top tray • fluval polish pads
• fluval bio max
Middle tray. • one side has peat pellets and the other side has 50 grams of fluval lab service phospate remover.
Bottom tray. • fluval pre filter

(to stop the filter getting clogged up with stuff the bite that sucks the water into the tank has a small sponge in it and I remove any bites that stick to it.)

I clean the filter every two weeks I would clean the 4 sponges on one side then 2 weeks later I will clean the other side with the plastic boxes then two weeks later I will clean the other side again. I never clean the filter with water I clean it wil fish tank water and I will add a small amount of stress zyme to the water before I clean the filter.

I replace the fluval pre filter, peat pellets, of fluval lab service phospate remover with another 50 games, fluval bio max, fluval fluval polish pads every year but I replace one wait 3 weeks and then replace the next wait 3 weeks then replace the next and I ease up on water changes during this time when I'm replacing them
I have 12 fish
7 tiger barbs
1 rainbow shark
and 4 Otocinclus
I try my best to keep my fish healthy and happy I remove as much stress as I can e.g. Rather then using a jog to remove water during a water change I use a pipe so the water goes down slowly and I turn the lights off. I give them a balanced diet- tetra min in the morning and then terta pro at night and I give them tubifex every 4 days and live food every 3 weeks.
And my tank has quite a few plants.
Tank information: 57inches by 17 inches by 17 inches. 300W heater.
Fluval 405 water changes every week 15% lots of plants 12 fish hopefully that is understocked and one light I might upgrade to 2 lights next month.

Is that a good setup and maintenance?
I'm very sorry for so much writing and any spelling mistakes.
Thank you if you answer

Top tray: fluval polish pads & fluval bio max
Middle tray: one side has peat pellets and the other side has 50 grams of fluval lab service phospate remover
Bottom tray: fluval pre filter

(to stop the filter getting clogged up with stuff the bite that sucks the water into the tank has a small sponge in it and I remove any bites that stick to it.)
This really makes sense for your below statement. I would clean this part every week.

I clean the filter every two weeks I would clean the 4 sponges on one side then 2 weeks later I will clean the other side with the plastic boxes then two weeks later I will clean the other side again. I never clean the filter with water I clean it wil fish tank water and I will add a small amount of stress zyme to the water before I clean the filter.
Sounds good. The stress zyme is the benefit.

I replace the fluval pre filter, peat pellets, of fluval lab service phospate remover with another 50 games, fluval bio max, fluval fluval polish pads every year but I replace one wait 3 weeks and then replace the next wait 3 weeks then replace the next and I ease up on water changes during this time when I'm replacing them.
Rather than buying more of the media for the canister (especially the phosphate remover), you are better off doing more water changes. Don't throw away the biomax, ever (rinse them every few months). Until the prefilter or the polishing pads fall part, don't throw them away either. I'm in the same boat as you. I do all kinds of stuff for my fish to maintain the highest water quality in between the weekly water changes. All of your media is not a bad thing, but you spend more money to maintain slightly higher water quality.

I have 12 fish
7 tiger barbs
1 rainbow shark
and 4 Otocinclus
Very light bioload for your tank. Its understocked judging by the tank dimensions.

Tank information: 57inches by 17 inches by 17 inches. 300W heater.
Fluval 405 water changes every week 15%

I think you're doing well in this hobby. (y)

Sounds good to me! If you would like to save some money then you could use poly fil in the place of the fluval polishing pads. I use poly fil in my fluval fx5 and 305 and it works wonders. It is like $8 for enough to last like 2 years

Is it good that I have that many fish?

Oh yeah I don't throw the biomax away I never meat to put that in there.

I'm really scared about getting algae so I use a small amount of the fluval lab stuff, 150g would last me a year and a half.

Your stocking is fine. Most people try to fit as many fish as possible (problematic in this hobby), but you are understocked.

Think of the fluval lab stuff as an insurance. If you ever have algae and the time to research, then look up ways to handle algae problems without buying anything. Fun stuff right there.

I did that's why I have Otocinclus :p and I do water changes, I don't think I wrote it but my tank is well planted to prevent any algae

Back
Top Bottom