Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2019, 05:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is this a good idea?

Hello all,

So quick opinion poll. I recently got a tiny betta (named Cutie) and have been keeping her in a 1.5 gallon tank for a quarantine period. I didn't like how small it was so I thought I would try her in my 10 gallon with my 2 female platies. Well, 1 of my platies passed away which left me with 1 platy, and I was double checking how this platy and betta would get along. Long story short, I found some horror stories on bettas killing platies and changed my mind on letting them inhabit the tank in the same space. Then I realized - I could divide the tank and give each fish a 5 gallon space of their own where they can't get to each other. Is this a good idea? And then when my platy passes on I can get another betta for the unoccupied space (after a quarantine period of course).

What are your thoughts?

Old 06-10-2019, 06:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

5 gallons is cramped for a platy. They also should be kept in a school.

My vote would be to take the platy to your LFS and donate it or give it away to someone.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah I've read mixed opinions about the size requirements for a platy online. One person said nothing under 20 gallons for a school and another said that they've had like four females in a five gallon for 2 years (and they're the original fish). So that's one reason why I'm asking opinions on here - I'm wanting everyone to pitch in with recommendations so then I can decide.

The LFS is definitely an option that I'm considering though. I just gave my single tiger barb to them (he was a rescue from my local Walmart shutting down their live fish section).
Old 06-11-2019, 09:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpAceGiRl94 View Post
Yeah I've read mixed opinions about the size requirements for a platy online. One person said nothing under 20 gallons for a school and another said that they've had like four females in a five gallon for 2 years (and they're the original fish). So that's one reason why I'm asking opinions on here - I'm wanting everyone to pitch in with recommendations so then I can decide.

The LFS is definitely an option that I'm considering though. I just gave my single tiger barb to them (he was a rescue from my local Walmart shutting down their live fish section).
In would agree get rid of the platy too small of a tank.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay. I'll see if my LFS will accept her as a donation. Or I'll offer her to my neighbor (she will be getting my other ten gallon as a graduation gift - it doesn't have any fish in it currently). Thanks guys!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com