Is this a good idea to keep Tiger Barbs with Zebra Danios?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbahseng

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, i have an extra 10 gallon tank and i'm keeping 4 Zebra Danios there to cycle it. I was wondering is it a good idea to put some Tiger Barbs in there once the tank had cycle. I may move the Zebra Danios back to the 20 gallon tank i had once the tank had cycle though. So what is some fish that are compatible with the Tiger Barbs if i want to get them?

From this page http://www.tropicalfish1.ca/US/USN/USN Compatibility.htm it looks like the danios can live with the Tiger Barbs, but anyone have any first hand experiences? And 6 barbs looks like too much for the 10 gallon, would 4 be ok?

I've kept danios in a 10 gallon successfully before, but haven't kept tiger barbs. i believe though that four tiger barbs in a 10g is a nice number. Finding tankmates might prove difficult because of the tigers aggression. Maybe some corydoras'? i really like the look of them, and they completely ignore the other occupents from my experience.
I keep 2 bolivian rams, 3 kuhli loachs and 1 peppered cory in my 10g, and everything has gone smoothly. I am planning on getting 4 or 5 lemon tetras, since my plans for keeping a fighter fish have failed.
Back to the topic ( :roll: ), i wouldn't keep any fish within the tigers habitatual range, eg. middle.
well i hope that helps
Justin
p.s. i think i made the word 'habitatual' up! :twisted:

Hi jbahseng,

So what is some fish that are compatible with the Tiger Barbs if i want to get them?
Ideal tankmates for Barbs are; Gouramis, larger Livebearers, Dwarf Cichlids, Sharks, Rainbowfish, Plecos, Catfish, and Loaches.

Bearfan is right, Tiger Barbs are fin-nippers but as long as your Zebra Danios are not of the long fin variety, they should be OK*. (*see point below)

And 6 barbs looks like too much for the 10 gallon, would 4 be ok?
Barbs like to hangout in schools, if you get 5 or more, they tend not to pick on their tank mates, they just "muck it up" amongst themselves.
However, they will grow to about 3 inches, so 6 of them would be about 18 inches of fish, which is relatively high for a 10 Gallon (IMHO).

I have 9 of them in a 35G and they don't even look twice at their tankmates.

I hope this helps.

zephyr said:
I've kept danios in a 10 gallon successfully before, but haven't kept tiger barbs. i believe though that four tiger barbs in a 10g is a nice number. Finding tankmates might prove difficult because of the tigers aggression. Maybe some corydoras'? i really like the look of them, and they completely ignore the other occupents from my experience.
I keep 2 bolivian rams, 3 kuhli loachs and 1 peppered cory in my 10g, and everything has gone smoothly. I am planning on getting 4 or 5 lemon tetras, since my plans for keeping a fighter fish have failed.
Back to the topic ( :roll: ), i wouldn't keep any fish within the tigers habitatual range, eg. middle.
well i hope that helps
Justin
p.s. i think i made the word 'habitatual' up! :twisted:

This Danios are regular. I like the idea of Bolivian Rams and cory, from what i found they grow to 4 inch. So a pair of it shouldn't be too much for a 10 gallon, right?

jbahseng said:
This Danios are regular. I like the idea of Bolivian Rams and cory, from what i found they grow to 4 inch. So a pair of it shouldn't be too much for a 10 gallon, right?
I believe it would be fine. They are fairly peaceful, but would stand up for themselves. My rams are doing really good, and are very healthy.
Would you be keeping them with barbs? One of the earlier posts said that you could keep tiger barbs with dwarf cichlids, but they have large fins and i wouldn't risk a confrontation between them. 8O
I like danios, but i don't think they'd suit my tank since i am trying to theme it.
hope that helps
Justin

I had 4 zebra danios and 9 barbs with some other fish in a 96 litre. The barbs didn't bother the danios much, they would chase around the tank, but eventually the barbs had to go because they made my angels' lives miserable.

Back
Top Bottom