Is this a Manzanita branch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sow3r

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Are this manzanita branches? I found a few but I want to make sure that they are real manzanita and not something else that can hurt my tank. Thanks people!!

Attachments

• image-2214596802.jpg
    image-2214596802.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 83
  • image-1105897681.jpg
    image-1105897681.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 78
  • image-3152879720.jpg
    image-3152879720.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 86
I know it's kinda hard to tell. At first I was conviced that it's in fact manzanita because they came off a flower arrangement of a wedding. But I started googling pics and they are not the same. Mind you this look like fresh branches and the ones I saw where almost white! I'm going to wait for someone else to chime in and give their opinion. Thanks!!

Using fresh wood is generally a no no as it is though it can leach harmful chemicals it may have even been sprayed with a laquer of sorts if it was in an arrangement.

I know that, thats why they are sitting in water and since I can't afford to get them sandblasted, I'm going to scrub them with a wire brush every other day. Btw they are manzanita branches. I got a ton hahaha

Attachments

• image-883912985.jpg
    image-883912985.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 85
I have seen manzanita branches looking like that at my local supplier, though those do look fresh and I would be careful when adding to the tank

That is manzanita but you dont want to use fresh green wood. It has to be dried very well and that particular piece will make a huge mess with all that bark peeling

That is absolutely manzanita. I harvest and sell the material at ManzanitaBranch.com, so I know a little about them. There is an alternative to sandblasting to get the bark off of them. If you leave them outside in the weather, exposure to the sun will cause the bark to crack and start to peel away. But this can take weeks. Getting rained on will also help. Since you are soaking them, that will also help. If you let them dry out now the bark will probably start to crack and peel, maybe without having to leave them out in the sun if they have been soaking long enough.

Back
Top Bottom