Is this a mayfly larva? (And more creepy crawlies from my tank)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like he was a good cleanup and kept the leaches in check. Probably the reason all my MTS got taken out too. I don't know if I have any left :(

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So where can I get a dragonfly larvae??? lol

Im dying to get my MTS dying, they are getting nuts

So where can I get a dragonfly larvae??? lol

Unfortunately, you really can't. Simply because there's no guarantee that you'd be introducing a native species and we all know about introducing non native species ?.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Can those leaches kill fish? Because my kissing gourami is now dead. Amm 0 rite 0 rate 10

I've got a weird film on the water that won't go away but I think it's just lack of surface agitation. At the moment is a mystery death.

Is the surface film look almost like it's oily?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yep. Did an 80% change Monday night and cleaned my filter tubes trying to get the flow up and it's back again. Didn't see any injuries, but my pleco was eating him so difficult to ascertain.

I believe this is due to a build up of proteins, but I could be wrong. I don't believe your gourami would die from this but i could be wrong again.

I believe this is due to a build up of proteins, but I could be wrong. I don't believe your gourami would die from this but i could be wrong again.

I did a 50% change Monday before this past and 80% this Monday.

I have tried syphoning directly from the surface, only remedy I found is an Eheim Skim350.

Can those leaches kill fish? Because my kissing gourami is now dead. Amm 0 rite 0 rate 10

I've got a weird film on the water that won't go away but I think it's just lack of surface agitation. At the moment is a mystery death.

My guess your gourami's demise may have been related to the surface film. They are labyrinth breathers thus an oily or viscous surface film would impair breathing, possibly suffocating them.

Leeches generally do not kill fish (unless a fish is infested with them) but they do cause health issues such as anemia and secondary infections. They are hermaphrodites so a single leech can create an entire population. And they are truly a nightmare to fully eradicate.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My guess your gourami's demise may have been related to the surface film. They are labyrinth breathers thus an oily or viscous surface film would impair breathing, possibly suffocating them.

Wasn't sure if the film would cause the death or not, but I can see where your coming from.

Leeches generally do not kill fish (unless a fish is infested with them) but they do cause health issues such as anemia and secondary infections. They are hermaphrodites so a single leech can create an entire population. And they are truly a nightmare to fully eradicate.

This makes sense, although the film has been there for a while. Could have built up slowly.

I didn't think leaches would kill fish, but I needed to rule it out. I'm switching substrate soon, so they'll go away then when I give the tank a vinegar bath and empty it completely.

Just something to keep in mind. I removed substrate (and all living creatures) from a tank and dumped an entire bottle of ace ammonia in it and let it run thinking it would kill off leeches. Nope. Then completely emptied the tank, brought it outside and dumped in bottles of bleach (filters included). Brought back in and recycled it from scratch. And guess what? Leeches appeared a few weeks later.

Leeches are the equivalent of cockroaches. Their eggs can survive for years and are not affected by heat, cold, drying out, chemicals, etc. They only hatch when conditions are suitable for survival.

Good news is you may have the species of leech that only feeds on plants and not the sanguineous type. Herbivorous leeches are more common in tanks although the opposite holds true in ponds.

Back
Top Bottom