Is this a normal nitrite spike?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

manooosie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, i am on week two of my nirtite spike (my ammonia stage lasted 2 weeks). I am using the ap master kit, which only measures nitrites up to 5 ppm. I easily hit that, and i roughly put one part tank tank water to 4 parts water and it was still at least 5 ppm. My nitrates are at about 7 ppm. Are those Nitrites too high? By the way, all of the ammonia i put in is just disapearing very quickly. Do I need to be patient or is there something I can do?

Are you saying that you tested the tank water, got the 5ppm then tested tank water with tap water added?

If this is the case, you more than likely have some trace ammonia (chloramines) in your tap water. Test the tap water and see what the level is.

It always takes about 3 weeks maybe a
few days a longer for my nitrites to go to zero. While often the ammonia only last 10 days to 2 weeks. Patience is the key. Just when you think that is forever stuck on a nitrite reading, the nitrites will suddenly disappear. But that is just about when you are ready to give up.
caudelfin

:p

Back
Top Bottom