Is this a swordtail or platy? Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zwicker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all. I picked this fish up at the lfs yesterday thinking it was a female marigold wag swordtail. After observation and looking around online, I'm beginning to think she might be a gold or sunset wag platy.
My skepticism is due to a couple things. First, the tail and dorsal coloration/pattern looks exactly like the gold wag platy profile here: World of Tropical fish
Second, the redish coloration on the head as opposed to pure gold with small black spots seen here: Marigold Wag Swordtail - Freshwater Fishs
Anyway, I know theres a lot of cross-breeding within and between swordtails and platys so there's no definitive coloration that the fish are supposed to have, I just have a feeling that this fish may have been mis-identified. Hopefully the pics are clear enough. Thanks for any help you can give me!!

Attachments

• IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0304.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0309.jpg
    IMG_0309.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 72
That's a platy. He's pretty! If it were a sword tail, it'd have a "sword" on the end of it's tail. That one doesn't.

Thanks for the reply Lauren. I bought it because I wanted a female, so I knew not to get one with the sword. As far as I can tell, male platys have that modified gonopodium fin on their underbelly like the male swordtails, and I don't think this fish has that. So I think it's a female, just unsure of the species.

Zwicker said:
Thanks everyone for your opinions, very much appreciated :)

The swordtail is starting to grow. In one of the pictures you can see a little stub growing from it IMO. My dads swordtails all grow a tail otherthen the male

Zwicker said:
Hi all. I picked this fish up at the lfs yesterday thinking it was a female marigold wag swordtail. After observation and looking around online, I'm beginning to think she might be a gold or sunset wag platy.
My skepticism is due to a couple things. First, the tail and dorsal coloration/pattern looks exactly like the gold wag platy profile here: World of Tropical fish
Second, the redish coloration on the head as opposed to pure gold with small black spots seen here: Marigold Wag Swordtail - Freshwater Fishs
Anyway, I know theres a lot of cross-breeding within and between swordtails and platys so there's no definitive coloration that the fish are supposed to have, I just have a feeling that this fish may have been mis-identified. Hopefully the pics are clear enough. Thanks for any help you can give me!!

Looks like a swordtail to me platys are a little rounder were as swordtails are more long hence the name

Back
Top Bottom