Is this beginning of ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolance

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just recently added 3 otos, 2 dwarf gouramis and 2 rainbows to my tank a couple days ago. One of the otos has a few white spots on him I just noticed. He is the only one with them. Idk if this is ich or something else? Should I buy meds?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1466732672.302052.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That does look like Ich. My Betta has something similar going on. Try adding 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons and raising the temperature to 80-82 degrees. Good luck

I raised my temp to 80 deg. I don't have aquarium salt but I do have para guard that is about 2 years old.

I raised my temp to 80 deg. I don't have aquarium salt but I do have para guard that is about 2 years old.

Make sure there's no expiration date before you use it. Some people say that just raising the temperature is enough on get rid of Ich. I don't know how reliable that is though.

Ok thanks hope it goes away

I'm going to try raising the temp a little more.

Definitely ich, I would raise your temp slowly to 88, increase oxygen levels, pwc every 2 day's including gravel vac and keep the temp up an extra 10 day's after last visible spot. Good luck :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras ,bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

Ok cool I'll try that. I'm not sure my heater will get it up to 88 but I will try. It's at about 82 now. I read that Otos don't do well with meds so hopefully the temp and water changes do the trick

I've cured ich twice with the heat treatment before, better than using med.

I'd do anything to stay away from meds. As mentioned, raising the temp for a couple of weeks takes care of it.
Water changes also combined with the higher temp works well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've got my temp up to 87 deg. I think there are less white spots on the oto. I'm still in the process of cycling the tank. Is the heat going to affect the tank cycling?

No it shouldn't make any difference. Glad to hear thing's are improving ☺

Ok so... using meds is bad enough, using meds in an un-cycled tank... disaster waiting to happen.
This happens often with a fish in cycle, the stress of the cycling on the fish weakens them and makes them more susceptible to disease, luckily ich is easy to get rid of.
At this point as mentioned, raise the heat mid 80's for a couple of weeks, some water changes and it will go away.

Thanks for all the consistent advice. I only see a spot or two on him now. I will hold the temp at 86 and water change every couple days. Hopefully the ich will be gone and I think my tank is almost cycled

So it's been a week since I've raised the temp to 86-87 deg. I don't see any ich on my fish. But when I am up close to the tank I see white dots just floating all throughout the tank moving with the current

It's been like that for a couple days. I just did a 50% PWC and I tried to vacuum really good everywhere.

Is this the ich and is it ever going to just go away?

I don't think that's ich your seeing. Just keep the temp up an extra 7-10 day's after last visible spot.
Try not to worry it will go away, I've battled ich twice with just heat and it works. Keep us posted :)

Back
Top Bottom