Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2018, 02:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Is this blue green algae?

This is a 33 gallon tank with river sand as substrate. I have good lighting that stays on for 8 hours and its near a window which gets strong sunlight for about 3 hours. I have low Co2 consuming plants in there so I don't use CO2 and just do partial water changes every 2 days. The tank was set up 2 months ago. There blue opaline gourami fry in there and a few pond snails. I have a very small biofilter in there.
There is some green stuff on the driftwood so I suspect the water is cloudy because of green algae. Is it blue green algae and is it harmful to my fry and plants?

Old 09-24-2018, 02:29 AM   #2

Here are a few PicsClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180924_105635.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	310497Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180924_105125.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	310498Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180924_105111.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	310499Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180924_105058.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	310500

Old 09-24-2018, 02:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Its hard to see anything in those pictures. Blue green algae will feel slimmy. It just looks like greenish goo when its on things unlike other algae that will typically be more hair like. One reason for this is blue green algae isn't actually algae. Its a type of bacteria called cyanobacteria. It can be toxic and deadly to humans so be careful if you start your siphon by mouth. From the cloudiness of the tank and seeing what does look like algae in some of the pics I would recommend a large water change. If no fish in the tank do up to a 70% water change and 50% if there are fish.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post
Its hard to see anything in those pictures. Blue green algae will feel slimmy. It just looks like greenish goo when its on things unlike other algae that will typically be more hair like. One reason for this is blue green algae isn't actually algae. Its a type of bacteria called cyanobacteria. It can be toxic and deadly to humans so be careful if you start your siphon by mouth. From the cloudiness of the tank and seeing what does look like algae in some of the pics I would recommend a large water change. If no fish in the tank do up to a 70% water change and 50% if there are fish.
What do you think about using hydrogen peroxide? I have already done full water change 2 weeks ago. That didn't help either
Old 09-24-2018, 03:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd try to cover that window if possible. What is your filtration? Is there good current in the tank? Airstones?
Old 09-24-2018, 03:22 AM   #6

Nah the current is pretty much non existent. There is a DIY biofilter in there.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:23 AM   #7

Quote:
I forgot to mention that the water stinks really bad
Old 09-24-2018, 03:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku View Post
What do you think about using hydrogen peroxide? I have already done full water change 2 weeks ago. That didn't help either
H202 probably won't do anything to get rid of it. I agree with fisher kill the sunlight. Also in nature blue green algae flourishes in slower moving water. That's why you see it on shorelines of lakes and slow parts of rivers. Also you didn't mention if you dose ferts, its a dirted tank or what.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:28 AM   #9

Quote:
H202 probably won't do anything to get rid of it. I agree with fisher kill the sunlight. Also in nature blue green algae flourishes in slower moving water. That's why you see it on shorelines of lakes and slow parts of rivers. Also you didn't mention if you dose ferts, its a dirted tank or what.
Substrate is river sand. No ferts yet. I use plants like hygrophila polysperma which don't need much attention
Old 09-24-2018, 05:20 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku View Post
Substrate is river sand. No ferts yet. I use plants like hygrophila polysperma which don't need much attention
OK so kill the natural light. 50% clean/water change every day or 2 for a week or 2. After a few water changes and days you should start noticing a pattern to when you need to do water changes based on water testing, fish behaviour and even color of the water. If its looking a little tinted from algae(green water) or from things like tannins I do at least a 30% water change and sometimes a 50%. Increase current of the tank. Plant more plants.

Tags
algae, blue, green, green algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com