Is this blue green algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goku

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is a 33 gallon tank with river sand as substrate. I have good lighting that stays on for 8 hours and its near a window which gets strong sunlight for about 3 hours. I have low Co2 consuming plants in there so I don't use CO2 and just do partial water changes every 2 days. The tank was set up 2 months ago. There blue opaline gourami fry in there and a few pond snails. I have a very small biofilter in there.
There is some green stuff on the driftwood so I suspect the water is cloudy because of green algae. Is it blue green algae and is it harmful to my fry and plants?

Its hard to see anything in those pictures. Blue green algae will feel slimmy. It just looks like greenish goo when its on things unlike other algae that will typically be more hair like. One reason for this is blue green algae isn't actually algae. Its a type of bacteria called cyanobacteria. It can be toxic and deadly to humans so be careful if you start your siphon by mouth. From the cloudiness of the tank and seeing what does look like algae in some of the pics I would recommend a large water change. If no fish in the tank do up to a 70% water change and 50% if there are fish.

Last edited:
Its hard to see anything in those pictures. Blue green algae will feel slimmy. It just looks like greenish goo when its on things unlike other algae that will typically be more hair like. One reason for this is blue green algae isn't actually algae. Its a type of bacteria called cyanobacteria. It can be toxic and deadly to humans so be careful if you start your siphon by mouth. From the cloudiness of the tank and seeing what does look like algae in some of the pics I would recommend a large water change. If no fish in the tank do up to a 70% water change and 50% if there are fish.
What do you think about using hydrogen peroxide? I have already done full water change 2 weeks ago. That didn't help either

I'd try to cover that window if possible. What is your filtration? Is there good current in the tank? Airstones?

Nah the current is pretty much non existent. There is a DIY biofilter in there.

I forgot to mention that the water stinks really bad

What do you think about using hydrogen peroxide? I have already done full water change 2 weeks ago. That didn't help either

H202 probably won't do anything to get rid of it. I agree with fisher kill the sunlight. Also in nature blue green algae flourishes in slower moving water. That's why you see it on shorelines of lakes and slow parts of rivers. Also you didn't mention if you dose ferts, its a dirted tank or what.

H202 probably won't do anything to get rid of it. I agree with fisher kill the sunlight. Also in nature blue green algae flourishes in slower moving water. That's why you see it on shorelines of lakes and slow parts of rivers. Also you didn't mention if you dose ferts, its a dirted tank or what.
Substrate is river sand. No ferts yet. I use plants like hygrophila polysperma which don't need much attention

Substrate is river sand. No ferts yet. I use plants like hygrophila polysperma which don't need much attention

OK so kill the natural light. 50% clean/water change every day or 2 for a week or 2. After a few water changes and days you should start noticing a pattern to when you need to do water changes based on water testing, fish behaviour and even color of the water. If its looking a little tinted from algae(green water) or from things like tannins I do at least a 30% water change and sometimes a 50%. Increase current of the tank. Plant more plants.

You need airstones at the very least if you aren't going to use HOB's, powerheads, canister filter or a sump.

There has to be some water movement or you get stagnant water, lack of oxygen and Algea. If your goal is to go as basic as possible I believe you need at least a couple airstones.

Back
Top Bottom