Is this Blue Ram male?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicnet

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just converted my multi tank over to all fresh again, and got a pair of blue rams! One I'm certain is a female, but the other I'm questioning if he is a male. At the store they definitely seemed like they were paired up, and even seemed to be doing some courting behavior, but now I'm questioning it now that they're home. What do you think? Is this one a male?

image-2972732647.jpg

Here is the one I'm fairly certain is female:

image-3138083980.jpg

& them together, the "female" on the left and "male" on the right. What do you think?

image-1210386027.jpg

The first pic definitely looks like a male. The second pic looks to be a female for sure.

Great! Thanks so much for answering! The other fish store I was at earlier had all males, and their fins were definitely more pointed and sharp looking, so once I saw the male at this store it really made me question it since it wasn't so pointy. So thanks again for reaffirming what I thought! Woo!

Now if I could only get them moving more... lol I've never had new fish stay in place so much after being acclimated and introduced! Then again, I'm new to rams and have no idea their behaviors under stress like this. So hopefully by tomorrow morning they're active and happy in their new home!

When I had my old rams they didn't explore too much for about a week. Then they finally came out and got all lovely and personality 101

Those are nice rams!!! It does look like a male. I love rams, I've had mine for a couple of months and they had eggs once but they were all gone the next morning, I'm hoping they spawn again

When I had my old rams they didn't explore too much for about a week. Then they finally came out and got all lovely and personality 101

Awesome, hopefully mine do the same too! It was making me nervous having them not really move, although I did get some pictures I normally don't get out of it!

Those are nice rams!!! It does look like a male. I love rams, I've had mine for a couple of months and they had eggs once but they were all gone the next morning, I'm hoping they spawn again
Thanks Chileno =) & I've heard the first few times they lay eggs they will eat them but eventually they'll wind up having babies about monthly. I guess they'll eat their eggs, but eventually only eat the unfertilized ones. Either way, hopefully soon they start having successful breedings!

I know, thats what I've heard too. I'm hoping they do breed again, which it looks like they will, the male keeps dancing around her :). Good luck with yours too

Wow :( my gbr laid eggs again, and in a matter of minutes they were all gone :( I'm thinking of moving them to a new tank by themselfs

Wow :( my gbr laid eggs again, and in a matter of minutes they were all gone :( I'm thinking of moving them to a new tank by themselfs

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that! What else do you have in the tank? I kinda want to get tank mates for mine but I'm worried about that happening! My brother just threw an Otto in there to (theoretically) make them feel a bit more comfortable, but I would hate for then to lay eggs and then have them be eaten!

I have a lot of fish in there, I knew it was going to be hard for them to take care of the eggs but wasn't expecting for all the eggs to disappear so quickly. I do think they ( the parents) ate the eggs

Back
Top Bottom