Is this fish a goner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cornflakes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My neon tetras started exhibiting the white flakes that look like salt sprinkled on them a few days ago. I raised the water temp up to 30 degrees and change the water 20-25% every other day. I keep the light off too and leave a ceramic air rock on.

Some of them look like it's getting better (less white stuff), but one of them has lost the fins on the tail and looks like all the fins on both sides are going too. It's having trouble swimming and all it does it wiggle oddly. Is this one a goner? Should I just remove it right now?

I had 11 tetras but so far I am only able to see 7. I don't know where the other 4 went. I tried checking along the gravel to see if they died and fell but no sign of them. Didn't see any of them stuck on the filter either if they died and got stuck there. 4 are just missing? 6 are looking better and doing well, and the 7th is the one that has most of it's fins falling off or missing.

Is it a goner? I'm thinking of just taking him out now and putting him out of his misery.

(also my 3 RCCs, 2 ghost shrimp, 2 corys, and 1 pleco are all doing fine....do u think the RCC could have caught and eaten the 4 missing tetras? I don't ever see them trying to catch them. Just wondering if that's a possibility or maybe my 4 missing tetras are still hiding somewhere I can't see).

If it can't swim or eat than it may be the best choice, between your shrimp and Pleco a dead neon could disappear over night..

Back
Top Bottom