is this fish a hybrid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had to get this fish when I saw it, I just thought it was so pretty. My LFS had it labeled as a convict but it doesn't look like other cons I've seen. I know female cons are supposed to be more colorful than the males, do you think this is a female con or some kind of hybrid?

img_313958_0_376363d2914a31468ab53ba9072498d9.jpg

img_313958_1_30dfb84990301125a1335eba07410b36.jpg

Hmmmm..... :? Thanks for looking that up, but I don't think I have that fish. The markings are much different, which you can barely tell from my newbie photos! :lol:

Wow, that is a really beautiful fish! :mrgreen: But mine has a different body shape and not so much blue, and the black markings are different.

Many cichlids don't get their true adult markings as juveniles. That looks pretty young. :wink: Nice pics BTW.

Thanks!!! :mrgreen: I know a lot of cichlids look way different as adults, but I have never even seen a juvie around here that looks like that. Yes, she is pretty young. She is only about 2 1/2 inches total length. Are you saying she will lose her color as she gets bigger?

In my copy of Cichlids of the Americas, on page 59 is a picture of your fish. Female Convict. Congrats. :D If you have a male, you better start shopping for another tank :lol:

Thanks! I thought that $3 seemed like a good price for such a pretty fish. And no, I definitely do NOT have any males, I know enough about cons to know a breeding pair would easily take over my 55 gallon tank. :lol: Plus, I have no space to deal with fry.

Back
Top Bottom