Is this ICH?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
For the past few days my Odessa Barbs have been rubbing/flashing against my driftwood piece whenever I feed them. They don't display this behaviour at any other time and I can't see any white spots on them. I see some shiny looking bits on the end of their scales, but I think that's just a characteristic of the Odessas. (The males display it more prominently than the females) My other fish don't show any signs of the parasite.. I'm still worried though. Could they just be reacting to small flakes touching them, or are they beginning to get sick? the next time I feed them (tonight) I'll film it and upload the video so you guys can give opinions. I just would hate to have an outbreak in my tank, I have a fish in there that I've had for five years and I'm pretty close to. :<

pics would help determine if they have a disease or not

you have to remember that ich will always be there, its just waiting for the right time to pop out and say hello

what you can do is one of two things:

first - treat the whole tank as if they had ich, raise the tank to 86* for two weeks with gravel vacs every other day to remove the spores that fall of the fish

second - QT the suspected fish that might have ich and treat him separately and do the same thing, raise temp to 86* and gravel vac every other day for two weeks

this is just a suggestion, it is great to QT a fish for 2-3 weeks before adding to the main tank, the reason is that you dont want anything that came with the fish, like columnaris, ich and other diseases that they acquired in your LFS, my gf had a case with columnaris and it wiped out her whole 40g community pretty fast, so now she QT's every fish she buys for 2 weeks before adding to the main tank

GL!!!

Really, QT isn't necessary since the whole tank will have ich. My suggestion would be to just leave the fish in the main tank to treat them.

I'm just finishing my 2 week period at 86* and have seen great results. I would leave the fish in the DT and raise the temp slowing like stated earlier. That is if you decide it is in fact ich.

i first noticed my dojo loach had ich when it was rubbing itself against the rocks and then i looked and saw that it had tiny white spots...
PS: he is now a two time ich survivor :)

Back
Top Bottom