Is this ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikeeper99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I noticed these white spots on both my bristlenose plecos. Is this ich or just caused by my high nitrates?

image-1944499520.jpg

If the nitrates are high enough to be a concern then I would up it to at least 50% once or even twice daily until they drop. More if they are extremely high. IMO 25% won't be making much of a difference. If your tap water contains nitrates then I would look into some fast growing stem and floating plants to help with the problem. The pleco in the picture has fin rot from what I can tell so the lower the nitrates and the cleaner you can get the water the better.

If the nitrates are high enough to be a concern then I would up it to at least 50% once or even twice daily until they drop. More if they are extremely high. IMO 25% won't be making much of a difference. If your tap water contains nitrates then I would look into some fast growing stem and floating plants to help with the problem. The pleco in the picture has fin rot from what I can tell so the lower the nitrates and the cleaner you can get the water the better.

What kind of plants?

For fin rot you just need some nice clean water. The 50% pwcs that you are doing for the high nitrates should suffice to keep your water clean and help you fish' fins.

Alright my nitrates are down to 12.5 I checked them again today and their fine should I out a small amount of aquarium salt in their? I know they're sensitive but a small amount?

Lots of clean water will usually do the trick. If he doesn't seem to improve in a couple of weeks or gets worse then look into a half dose of salt or possibly medication.

Some plants that I've found to consume larger amounts of nitrates include hornwort, elodea and duck weed. Of course plants do not replace water changes. There are many other nasties that can build up in tanks other than nitrates.

That does not look like ich. Fish with ich look like it's been sprinkled with salt. It starts with just a few "grains" and eventually multiplies to cover most of the fish.

I'd like to get different view of the fish. Can you take another close-up?

David

It looks like she's getting. More small white spots which gets me worried ill take more pics when she comes out.

Already made a thread on this a while ago but it Is old and no one is responding so does my female bristlenose have ich the spots have been multiplying but ONLYA on her no other fish have any spots.

image-3848144625.jpg

Before

image-4217595108.jpg

After

Attachments

• image-1801589572.jpg
    image-1801589572.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 76
Threads merged.

Those pictures aren't of the best quality. I can't really see anything. Have you looked up pictures of plecos with ich on google? You can then compare.

Back
Top Bottom