Is this Ick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maximus13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was doing my daily aquarium observation yesterday and noticed that one of my GBR's had what appeared to be a small white spot on his tail and lower fin. I would hate for it to be Ick but if it is I'd like to start treating asap. So do you guys think it's Ick?

Attachments

• image-690424939.jpg
    image-690424939.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 68
  • image-2329150265.jpg
    image-2329150265.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 72
  • image-732212581.jpg
    image-732212581.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 66
Maximus13 said:
I was doing my daily aquarium observation yesterday and noticed that one of my GBR's had what appeared to be a small white spot on his tail and lower fin. I would hate for it to be Ick but if it is I'd like to start treating asap. So do you guys think it's Ick?

That looks like ick.

Raise it slowly to 86-88f
Increase aeration
Increase water changes
Leave it up for at least one week after the last spot is seen
Decrease slowly
It usually gets worse before it gets better

Raise it slowly to 86-88f
Increase aeration
Increase water changes
Leave it up for at least one week after the last spot is seen
Decrease slowly
It usually gets worse before it gets better
And use some Aquarium salt in the water as well along with the raised temp

I read salt kills the ich when it drops from the fish to reproduce in the substrate? I used aquarium salt/high temp in my aquarium to cure ich, ten days and it was gone. My GBR was unaffected by the salt.

It does at a high enough concentrations but many times common tropical fish can't handle the amount it takes. With goldfish a .3% concentration of salt is used to treat external parasites. Many tropicals can't handle this amount. Even if they can the handle that amount of salt it can cause plant death or melting so many choose just to skip it. Don't get me wrong though. Salt has its uses and is a good for many fish ailments.

Yeah I just used the recommended amount on the container I bought, so in that case it may have even been ineffective in its concentration. But whether it was just the way or the combination of both, it worked, and was much less stressful than the medications I could have purchased at the lfs.

Back
Top Bottom