Is this nomal .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brant

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 sunset groumies 1 male 1 female the male is starting to atempt a bubble nest(at least thats what it looks like) and the female is acting a little lethargic resting then swiming abit then resting but she gets real active at feeding time this has gone on for about 48 hours now. thanks for any response.

Does the female's belly look a little more swollen than usual? If so, she may be carrying eggs. Did she used to swim a lot and now is more lethargic? Gouramis aren't the most active of fish when they are content, IMO.

It is also possible that the male is just happy and content as well and is expressing it through his bubble nest, which they stometimes do.

You need to keep an eye on this brant. Typically when a male anabantoid is ready to spawn, and the female is not ready, he can badger her to death. If this is the case, you need to seperate them until she comes into spawning readiness. After a spawn it's always a good idea to remove the female.

imw80 yes she used to swim more as you said tho they are not all that active to begin with but now she rests in my plants she will actualy use here fealers to stop and rest herself as for the belly they both have grown at least 30% since I've got them so its hard to tell if belly is bigger but she does look chunky compared to the mail. Brian now that you mention it the male has been bothering the female but does not apper to be all that agresive towards her. I witnessed about 4 or 5 days ago they were doing this kind of circular dance around one another they would come towards each other then circle acouple of times and almost touch then swim apart and then afew minutes later they would be back at it. well it looks like I will be going to get and set up a 15 gal tank to use for QT now. Was hoping to not have to do this for another week or so so I had the money to do it correctly but when nature calls. Good thing I put and extra foam filter in my emporor 280 about 2 weeks ago at least I have some seed material. Well thank you very much for the advice and I will try to keep you posted.

Oh well at least I don't have to put them through colledge but wait tey mite want to school LOL.(pun intended) Thanks for the congrats but I won't count my chickens yet lets see how it goes first.

Well time for the update all breeding behavior has stoped as of 3 days ago both fish back to normal it never happened guess this was a dry run so to speek but the male went nuts on my hornwart he has it all torn up I have to clean out the filter twice a day I think I may have to remove the hornwart so I can get some peace does any body have a sugestion as to what i can replace the hornwart with I am low lite tank under one watt per gal. allready have watersprite cork screw val. and anacharis. Could I mabye grow foxtail or ambulia in a low lite tank?

Back
Top Bottom