Is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nickie

Aquarium Advice Regular
My male Molly is bitting my female guppy on the tummy. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

Is she taking skin off and drawing blood? Or is she more like bumping her? If she's taking skin, you need to pull one or both of them out.

Hi

Oh no it was the male Molly bitting my female guppy on her stomach and now her back.he is removing scales and is always chasing her around the twenty gallon tank. Help?!?!?

This is breeding behavior. He will pursue her relentlessly. Should keep several females with a male to disperse his interests between all the females, and one don't get stressed out.

foster53 said:
This is breeding behavior. He will pursue her relentlessly. Should keep several females with a male to disperse his interests between all the females, and one don't get stressed out.

A Molly and a guppy mating?

I have seen male Mollies try before. When I bred several livebearers, the male mollies and swords would pursue females of other species on a regular basis. if you give him females of his same species he will probably leave the guppy alone.

I have added a female to the tank but he only chases her away whenever she gets near the guppy female. I breed guppies and I an quite concerned for her health. Any other suggestions

You are probably going to have to remove the male Molly if the situation don't correct in a short time. Sounds like your molly needs glasses:lol:

Yeah totally now he's getting really aggressive with all of my female hippies in general so I'm just going to give him to one of my friends. By any chance are any of you guppy breeders cause if you are I could use some guidance.

Lol NOT Hippies Guppies

Ha! I always thought of guppies as the hippies of fish anyway. Always so colorful and chill, and always getting hungry around 4:20...

To the OP:, I would make sure you tank has enough hiding spaces. Otherwise you'll just have to let them tough it out or take out the molly

Thanks and a quick question? How can I tell when my guppys going to give birth cause it pretty hard to me and I'm trying a new way of getting the babies? What are the tell tail signs.

Nickie said:
Thanks and a quick question? How can I tell when my guppys going to give birth cause it pretty hard to me and I'm trying a new way of getting the babies? What are the tell tail signs.

My female guppies start looking square shaped right before they give birth-- and I've noticed a few times they start to float a little tilted to one side too. I've been pregnant twice and I felt like tipping sideways myself so I can relate!

Back
Top Bottom