Is this normal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slow-dagger

Aquarium Advice Activist
One of my gold fish is making bubbles or something it keeps sticking it mouth out the water and spits bubbles

image-2816086811.jpg

image-3269080353.jpg

image-64560020.jpg

image-3595222128.jpg

Slow-dagger said:
One of my gold fish is making bubbles or something it keeps sticking it mouth out the water and spits bubbles

Do you have a filter on the tank? Looks like it's looking for oxygen. I could be wrong though.

From the pic your water looks stagnate, no agitation.

Also how many fish and what size tank?

I agree. And if that's quite a small tank it may be over stocked. If I remember rightly a symptom of ammonia poisoning is gasping at the surface of the water.

You need to put a filter on the tank, test your water and perform water changes. Do you a water conditioner to add before adding new tap water?

We need some questions answered to help us help you.

Convict2161 said:
You need to put a filter on the tank, test your water and perform water changes. Do you a water conditioner to add before adding new tap water?

We need some questions answered to help us help you.

It's a 10 gallon with 2 cory cats 2 gold fish 2 ghost shrimp 2 guppies 1 betta and a snail I have changed the filter now he has stopped doing that they seem calm and and alert and the orange gold fish was the only one doing I saved the gold from pets mart because I could see many of them dying the white gold fish and my other fish has never been sticking it mouth out

Slow-dagger said:
It's a 10 gallon with 2 cory cats 2 gold fish 2 ghost shrimp 2 guppies 1 betta and a snail I have changed the filter now he has stopped doing that they seem calm and and alert and the orange gold fish was the only one doing I saved the gold from pets mart because I could see many of them dying the white gold fish and my other fish has never been sticking it mouth out

Ok, I'm just giving you some information on your tank. I'm not at all attacking you, just so were clear :)

Your overstocked IMO that's a lot of fish for a 10 gallon. What type of filtration system are you using? Can I see a full tank shot?

2 goldfish in a 10 gallon alone is pushing it IMO.

I think there are more issues with the tank as well.

Convict2161 said:
Ok, I'm just giving you some information on your tank. I'm not at all attacking you, just so were clear :)

Your overstocked IMO that's a lot of fish for a 10 gallon. What type of filtration system are you using? Can I see a full tank shot?

2 goldfish in a 10 gallon alone is pushing it IMO.

I think there are more issues with the tank as well.

Okay thank u were kind creeping me out convict and I have a 20 gallon stored in my dads shed I'll change them in there later when I get my room new furniture then I'll get a new filter and decor but here r my tank screen shots

image-450723009.jpg

image-3437659862.jpg

So, you will still run into some care issues with the goldies in a 20g tank, but I am not a goldy expert, so I will leave that part to others. As far as your circumstances right now, I recommend you do a big water change. The fish seem to have clamped fins, and like Convict said, gasping at the surface is one sign that there is too much fish poop (ammonia) in the water for them. Clean water would help them feel better I think.

absolutangel04 said:
So, you will still run into some care issues with the goldies in a 20g tank, but I am not a goldy expert, so I will leave that part to others. As far as your circumstances right now, I recommend you do a big water change. The fish seem to have clamped fins, and like Convict said, gasping at the surface is one sign that there is too much fish poop (ammonia) in the water for them. Clean water would help them feel better I think.

Okay but y do that clamp there fins because when I first brought the the orange one had clamped fins but not the white one

Generally, clamped fins is a sign of the fish not being healthy. Now, keep in mind that fish may not have its fins flared to the max 24 hours a day, but when they stay clamped against the body for a length of time, it generally means the fish doesn't feel well.

absolutangel04 said:
Generally, clamped fins is a sign of the fish not being healthy. Now, keep in mind that fish may not have its fins flared to the max 24 hours a day, but when they stay clamped against the body for a length of time, it generally means the fish doesn't feel well.

Thank bro

Hate to be this guy... But lose both goldfish and get 3 or 4 more guppies and call it stocked. You would need at least a 55 for both goldies. They will create way to much ammonia over time and your tank will slowly die off. Even with PWCs the ammonia wil be to high. Rehome the goldfish and another thing, get some fake plants and more decorations for the tank. It looks bare which might be stressing the fish.

mikeISright said:
Hate to be this guy... But lose both goldfish and get 3 or 4 more guppies and call it stocked. You would need at least a 55 for both goldies. They will create way to much ammonia over time and your tank will slowly die off. Even with PWCs the ammonia wil be to high. Rehome the goldfish and another thing, get some fake plants and more decorations for the tank. It looks bare which might be stressing the fish.

I'll try to regime them

mikeISright said:
Thats your best bet. The only way your fish will be healthy is with rehoming the goldies

Yea I'm strying a pet store near me told me to bring them tomorrow

The goldfish will need a 75-100 gal tank or a pond if they are commons
The betta and guppies can stay
The cories need the twenty- I'd move the guppies in there too
Try to get a air pump in there

Thats great news. Try go get a few more guppies or some type of schooling fish. And yes i somehow missed the part about the betta. Ide think ude be better off moving all the fish to the 20 and then have a final stock of:

5- guppies (top)
4/5- corys (bottom)
1- betta (all levels)
5- some smaller tetra (middle)

I'd probably not have guppies with a betta especially male fancies. Bettas may be pretty clever but they sometimes mistake the bright tails of the guppies with another male of their own kind and may attack, some people have success with both species together but I dunno if it's a risk I'd like to take. I'd also be wary of tetras especially the smaller species like neons because they are notorious fin nippers. Harlequin rasboras would probably be better but they need a larger group because they are pretty shy in smaller groups.

AnabantoidLover said:
I'd probably not have guppies with a betta especially male fancies. Bettas may be pretty clever but they sometimes mistake the bright tails of the guppies with another male of their own kind and may attack, some people have success with both species together but I dunno if it's a risk I'd like to take. I'd also be wary of tetras especially the smaller species like neons because they are notorious fin nippers. Harlequin rasboras would probably be better but they need a larger group because they are pretty shy in smaller groups.

Klkkkkkkkkkkk

Back
Top Bottom