is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dieanna

Aquarium Advice Activist
Every time I do anything to the tank all these bubbles are covering the top of the tank. I noticed it after I put a new airpump and bubble wall in the tank. I just wanted to know if it's normal or ok. The picture is actually after i ran my hand over them. They usually cover that whole area plus some.

Attachments

• foam.jpg
    foam.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 53
I was thinking about it a little more. Could someone be trying to build a bubble nest? The bubble appear where my gouramis hang out, but I didn't think I had any males. I believe the dwarf is a male, but the bubbles started appearing before I added him.

everything in the tank = 55 gal - 3 gourami, 3 red-eye tetras, 2 mollies, 3 corycats, 1 pleco, live plants, a few fake plants, a couple fake rock decorations, a few accent stones, 12" bubble wall, heater, filter... and I think that's it.

Hm... I don't think it would be the gouramis cuz there's too much water aggitation from the bubble wall and filter, might be though. I'm thinking it might just be the bubble wall or something. Do the bubbles pop and then reform again?

They pop, but don't reform immediately. They're usually covering the right side of my tank by the next time I check on them or feed them. The filter outlet is on the left, so I don't have the problem on that side.

Is that big yellow thing a rock or a leaf? o.o cuz they might be making a bubble nest if you have a male gourami and females too but I doubt they'll have babies though cuz I believe the water's gotta be really low for that. I wouldn't worry too much about the bubbles as long as there's no soap in your tank 8O

It's a lilly leaf. They hang out in the lillys directly below that. I'm pretty sure I have 2 female blue gouramis. The third, dwarf, was just added. The bubbles were appearing before I added him. I'll get some snapshots of the 2. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I have a male in the tank. 8O

Okay. Here they are. Gourami 2 is slightly larger than gourami 1. It's also darker in color and a little more plump.

Attachments

• gourami1.jpg
    gourami1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 24
  • gourami2.jpg
    gourami2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 28
From the amount of bubbles there, I wouldn't think it was the gourami's. Have you checked your water parameters? I know my tank gets a bit bubbly when the nitrates go up, soft water would probably make it a lot more of an issue.

A bubble-nest would have more consistanly sized bubbles. I would suggest that you have some excess nitrates or proteins (from feeding), and that combined with the airstone is causing the foaming.

didn't think of that...then again I never knew that either...hey I learn something new everyday lol

Well, back when I was about 8 years old and almost never cleaned my old 10 gallon tank( :oops: I didn't know...It was sad, you could see all kinds of poop in the gravel.), I got bubbles like that a lot. So I'd agree with the eccess nitrated and proteins.

Back
Top Bottom