is this normal? white floating worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baygon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im doing a 70% wc and bunch of these little guys (about millions of them) are flying around....

ForumRunner_20120918_230530.jpg

Not sure what they are called, well better yet I don't remember lol. They are common on new tanks and they have never posed a threat to any of my fish.

They are probably planaria. Overfeeding tends to exacerbate the problem. How much and how often do you feed?

I feed twice a day and just one pinch every time. I guess that is the cause. After doing the WC this morning seems like they are all gone. (probably on the sand or the filter took them out).

If they do no harm then that is fine. :)

Seems to be planaria. Don't feed for two days and make sure you vacuum your gravel.

I get these too. Little white worms up to a quarter of an inch long. Difference is they bunch up into pinkish red wriggling masses and kill my guppy fry. I've seen it happen. So I dont think mine are the same...

I read online they say that Nematodes are the most common one which i guess the ones in my tank having a fiesta right now.

On the other side, Planaria "feed on dead and/or rotting flesh, as well as excess fish food left in the substrate. They also EAT EGGS AND FRY."

Back
Top Bottom