Is this Ok? Powerheads- from salt to freshwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DugOut

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a chance to buy 2 Zoo Med power sweep 228's from a friend for $20.00. They were used in a salt water reef tank.

Question: Will it be safe to put them in a fresh water tank or will this cause a problem?

I would disassemble the parts that can be disassembled and rinse well in warm tap water. Any salt deposits that didn't dissolve away should be removed with gentle scrubbing using a new toothbrush and some vinegar. Then, I would run the equipment for a few hours in a bucket of fresh water (with frequent changes) to remove the vinegar and any traces of salt. I would think that any salt water diseases would be toasted upon prolonged exposure to vinegar and fresh water.

Thanks for your help QTOFFER!

I really don't think I know how to disassemble a powerfilter. 8O

I guess its time to learn :?

It'll be apparent to you when you get them in your hands.

Soak them in warm water w/ vinegar. You can run them while soaking... Scrub them and that should remove the calcium and coraline build up.

That should be good enough, but if you want to take the extra step. You can soak them in bleach also.

powerfilter and powerhead...two different things :)
for a powerfilter you usually twist the motor and it unscrews after 90 degrees.

for a power head, you usually twist part of it, and the bottom will open, and you can then remove the impeller to clean the internal 'moving parts'.

I have seen a couple really cheapy powerheads that were sealed and couldn't be easily cleaned.
For that reason, I've stuck with Maxi Jet powerheads. super reliable, and easy to maintain.

Back
Top Bottom