is this PH high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbneedshelp

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just checked my levels and my ph when i checked last was at 7.0 and now its up to 7.6, it was 7 a month ago. First should i be cheking my levels more? and secnd in my PH to high? if so how can i lower them?

also the fish seem to be ok in it so does this mean there is nothing to worry about? they area cting very normal from what i can tell.

How are your fish doing? If the fish are still doing fine then it is likely that the pH climbed at a slow but steady pace. Most fish can adapt to a certain degree. The fish in your tank that I think would be most sensitive to a too high pH would be the Oto and the neon tetras.

You can lower the pH by using pH down or you can get some dead wood from a fish store and put that in it. Just keep in mind it may tint your water slightly to a yellowish color.

I would check the pH daily to see what's going on before changing things Newb.

I will check it dailyand the fish seem fine. I have another issue, it might just be a mini cycle from adding my last fish but i am reading like .25 ammonia. i added the otto and 3 neons last week end and i think its still going through a mini cycle. Or im over stocked and need to do some more fequent water changes. You opinion?

Anytime ammonia is present in a tank that has once completely cycled, it's a sign that you've added too many fish too quickly, or your overfeeding. Reduce your feeding to every other day and do daily 10% water changes until the nitrites read zero. :wink:

Do not add pH down or any chemical to alter your water parameters.
10 Gallon:2 java ferns, 4 zebra danios, 3 green cory cats, 3 Neon Tetras, 1 Oto cat
That is a full tank! Definitely feed every other day--it won't hurt them, that's what all my fish get all the time and follow Brian's advice about the PWC.

Back
Top Bottom