Is this planned addition going to work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minotaur

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought a small Gold Gourami for my 30 gallon rectangle tank.

My initial research suggested that it should work in my tank, and the LFS said that it would be fine...but....after a night of worrying, I researched some more and have found that the Gold may not get along with my Dwarf.

I "pre-purchased" the Gold, so I have not put it into my tank yet.

My 30 Gal Rec Tank info in in my signature....is this new addition going to work, or should I abort before disaster strikes?

I had my dwarf and gold in my 20 gal tank together before and they attacked each other. The females are usually a little less aggressive, some are completely peaceful. I've learned it's best to just have 1 gourami per tank though, especially when there's a male. Unless there's a tank divider of course.

A 30gal hex tank has a small foot print. Unfortunately you never know what you're going to get with gouramis and territory. They might get along, and they might not.

The gold gourami is the same exact species as the blue just a color variation. I've heard pearl's are supposed to be less aggressive, but again it depends on the individual. Have you seen your dwarf chase, bite, and/or attack anyone? If so, I'd keep him with no other gouramis.
Although, at least in my experience, it seems the bigger ones usually go after the smaller ones. I had my dwarf in the 20 gal and he would bite at the little blue gourami's fins all the time. Then, he was moved to the 75 (he was the smallest gourami in there) and he was the one being bit at. He's currently in the 10 gal without any gouramis and is doing fine.
IME it does seem that the gouramis don't actually go looking for the others to pick on but will chase if they get into their sight. It's more of a territory issue than aggression. If you have or can get large ornaments and plants that should help with lowering problems.
Let us know how they are getting along.

Thanks for your help...

The Dwarf is not overly aggressive, but he will chase away the Rainbows if they get too close.

I have a fairly large floating artificial plant that the Dwarf likes to go in, hopefully as the Gold gets bigger, he has a place to hide.

So far they seem to be ignoring each other, but the Dwarf is about 2" and the Gold is only about an 1".

We will see what happens, i will keep y'all up to date

I don't think the gold will be at all aggressive at that size. I would mainly watch the dwarf, for now. My young blue gourami is between 1 1/2"-1 3/4" and I'm pretty darn sure she has never picked on anyone. It may be she's just peaceful but can also be she's too small still.

Back
Top Bottom