Is this real coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i3k

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK, I admit I know nothing about coral and never had it in any of my tanks. About 6 years ago I purchased an aquarium on ebay and since the seller was local I went and picked it up. He included a bucket of misc goodies with the tank. Some fake plants, some power heads and a bunch of other stuff. I was digging through this stuff today and there is actually a nice size coral that looks to be real...but I have no idea if it's artificial or a real dead coral. As you can see a few pieces broke off...is that bad?

Here are some pictures
p1020035k.jpg

p1020036.jpg

p1020039d.jpg

If it's real coral, will it change my water chemistry? The tank I want to put it in has a pH of 7.6 - 7.8 and I don't need it to go any higher.

Good idea? bad idea? cause I have no idea :-|

Thanks all!

looks like real dead coral to me. it will raise the ph and hardness of your water.

Will it raise the pH a lot? the tank I want to put it in has few rainbows, 2 botia loaches, 1 pleco and 1 red tail shark. They do fine in the 7.6-7.8 pH...though not sure if they will like it any higher than that. That piece would probably look good in the tank, but if it will raise the pH by a lot, I won't bother with it.

it will prob end up around 8ph. if you really content to using it you could coat it so it cant break down and raise the ph.

there is aquarium safe clear epoxy. i assume krylon fusion would work on it too.

Back
Top Bottom