Is this right??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jclubb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Being prone to bouts of paranoia, I was checking my 29gal All Glass Aquarium over and I noticed two things which have me VERY concerned.

1) The front top of the glass is bowed out 1/4" to 3/8"
2) The top left corner of the right glass panel is not flush with the front panel. It appears inward about 1/8" on top left side and flush on the top right side. the silicone seal appears undistrurbed and ok.

The tanks is not leaking.

I would like for anyone with any experiance to let me know if this is "normal". Please *no* speculation I'm a little too worried about this.

TIA
Jay

I have a 29gal, it does bow a tiny bit. Not much tho. I guess its normal.

Don't know about your other problem, tho..

When I first set up my 29gal it had weird sagging as well. Then my husband (the Virgo) got out a leval and we made sure the stand was level and then slowly added water to it, continuing to adjust the stand until it was level when it was total full. We got some small peices of wood from Lowe's and put them under each leg, total cost under $2. The stand wasn't level with out the tank, but was once the tank was filled with water.
I had a semi-good LFS salesclerk tell me that he had a 150gal break on him. The stand seemed level until all of the water was in. The padding on the floor "gave" under the weight differently for each corner.
I hope that all made sense! :wink:

I think jclubb was talking about the tank having misaligned glass panes, rather than the tank not being level.

My cheapo 10 gal is also slightly misaligned, but only by about 1/32 of an inch. Since the pane is misaligned inwards, giving basically the same surface area for the silicone to glue to, I don't think much of it. 1/4 to 3/8" in your tank is a bit much. Again, since the bonding surfaces are the same (being moved in), I don't think the joint is any weaker. But the water pressure will be unevenly distributed. This is *probably* not too much of a concern, since I've read in other threads here that large tanks can bow out (normally) as much as 1/2 inch - & that would put more stress on the glass than your misalignment.

Oh, & I guess that answers your 2nd question as well.

Back
Top Bottom