is this rock too big for my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dimitri146

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i just took out the greek pillars i had in my tank because i thought they were a little too big. i bought this big rock for the tank thinking it might be better but now im wondering if this is too big. it seems like my phantom tetras stay in a certain corner next to the filter but they dont want to explore the front. is that normal? they never really came in the front of the tank when i had the pillars in there either. only when it was time to eat.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1012

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1011

thanks

I don't think the rock is too big. I am wondering tho, if the tank is in a high or semi-high traffic area, as you mention even before the rock they would keep to the back.

try lieing the rock on its side and see how that looks.
mabey add some plants too give them some shelter around the front of the tank or put in some other fish too show them that every thing is ok.

its not in a high traffic area at all. if i layed the rock down i think it would really take away from the nice looks of the tank :roll: i had one more plant in there like the one thats in there now but a little bigger and it seemed to restrict there movement more then it is right now. i would like to put more fish in but i dont want to overcrowd the tank. would a couple more tetras be too much? right now i have 4 black phantom tetras, a dwarf gold nugget pleco, & 2 african dwarf frogs. i was thinking of getting some neon tetras to have some action on top since most of what i have in the tank now are mid to bottom feeders. but again would that be too much?

thanks.

Is this a 12-gal Eclipse? You may be getting overstocked if you add any more fish. These tanks are taller rather than wider so it reduces the surface area available. The black phantoms are mid-sized tetras, so I would not add any more fish. My BF tetras hide, too, as do my serpae tetras, which are similar. If there are any problems with water quality that can create a stressful environment that will cause the fish to hide. Otherwise, I would leave things as they are. I like the large rock!

The rock looks fine, as far as your tetras, mine hid all the time. I bought more to make them feel more comfortable, I set up more hiding places, put black background on the back and sides of the tank...nothing worked, they still hid. They, like most small schooling fish, are simply timid fish.

If I'm not mistaken, that's a SIX gallon Eclipse, not a twelve.

If this is the case, I'd say definitely no more fish!

Dimitri needs to solve this mystery for us! It looks just like my 12-gal Eclipse, but maybe the photo makes it look bigger than it is, so if so I definitely second Madame_X's statement that it is (over)stocked!

its a six gallon eclipse. i changed the plant i had in there before to a bigger more stringy plant and moved it from the front to the back of the tank on the same side. the tetras seem to like it there much better. they have been swimming from one side of the tank to the other and they usually go throught the hole in the rock while doing so. the tank doesnt seem to be overstocked but... i dont know. the tetras seem happy now and have explored every inch of the tank. the 2 frogs seem fine but the dwarf pleco seems he could use maybe a little more room. he doesnt clean the tank walls ot the rock much he just scavenges for food. and man he poops alot. so should the tank be ok?

Back
Top Bottom