is this setup ok or over populated ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lori_z3a

Aquarium Advice Regular
Type of tank I just bought........

Water Type .................................... Fresh
Tank Material ................................. Glass
Tank Shape .................................... Rectangle
Length ............................................ 36 in
Width ............................................. 24 in
Height ............................................. 19 in
Wall Thickness ............................... 1/4 in
Tank Volume .................................. 71 gal (US)

1- 6 inch koi fish (koi )
2- 5 inch fish (1 is koi )shubunkin
3- 4 inch fish (1 is koi )shubunkin
1- 3 inch fish (shubunkin fry from summer )
2- 4 inch weather loaches

I read some place that with this size of tank I can actually have 72 inches of fish excluding the tail (what ever that means since all fish come with tails )and I figure that right now I only have 39 inches of fish total -- giving room for groth during the winter.

Will this be ok and not over crowded ?

I plan on using the water from their old tanks to fill the new one - but it would be nice not having so many tanks around - hubby thinks he is living in a fish store and not our home /lol

It doesn't sound to me like you are over stocked right now, but what happens when the fish, especially the koi reach full size? I think you them will be overstocked in your tank. If the tank is only a holding tank for the koi during the winter, than no problem. If not, then you might have some overcrowding whrn they all reach their full sizes.

For this winter you should be just fine. Next winter though, it will probably be overcrowded, and you may want to invest in either a bigger tank, or another 70+ gallon tank.

Sidenote: 1200 gallon pond? Nice! Did you build it?

as for koi

I know they will grow - so next year they will be in the 70 gal by their selves --and I guess I will have to set up the other one for the rest next year -just do not tell hubby -

Lori! That is sooo beautiful! And the fact that you did it yourself, must be all that much more satisfying to you! Great job!

thank you

hubby had a ball watching me to from inside the house - me in hole digging and him inside watching the 4 little kids - think I had the better of the deal. still have much work to do on it -- want to replace the linning and dig it deaper - who knows maybe I can winter fish outside if I dig it deep enough.

Very nice pond Lori. We did one about the same size for our boss. He is kind of lazy and didn't want to do anything with them during the winter so we spent between $9-10000 8O to heat the whole pond during the winter. It's been working for about 3 years now and haven't lost a fish yet.

Back
Top Bottom