Is this stone safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pezzep

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so I have this piece of sand stone (or I believe it's sandstone) and I did the vinegar test no fizz I soaked it in water for a week no PH change, but when I looked in the bottom of the metal container I was soaking it in there was this white foamy stuff that seemed to harden a little and the same stuff accumulated at the top of the metal bucket on the screws that held the handles. (See photos) what is this stuff and will it be safe to use the rock? Was there maybe left over vinegar on the rock mixing with the water and reacting to the metal/rock over the week period?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 74
Second photo, they wouldn't all go into one post for some reason

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 73
It could have also been used in a previous aquarium, would it be producing salt maybe if it was used in a salt water aquarium prior to me owning it?

That's the most popular type of stone sold for tropical (not cichlid) tanks where I live, so I would say its safe. And very pretty!

Now, on to the real question here: are we having banana cake or banana smoothies?

Hehe :lol:

That's the most popular type of stone sold for tropical (not cichlid) tanks where I live, so I would say its safe. And very pretty!

Now, on to the real question here: are we having banana cake or banana smoothies?

Hehe :lol:

The sandstone is? Cause I've heard it can sometimes be bad depending. I dunno maybe ill just soak my stone a little longer and see if the same thing happens

It's almost like a calcium build up, which if I'm not mistaken is bad to have built up in your aquariums?

The sandstone is? Cause I've heard it can sometimes be bad depending. I dunno maybe ill just soak my stone a little longer and see if the same thing happens

I don't know what kind of rock it is, but the rock in the picture is sold specifically for aquariums.

Is it a new bucket? I ask because I had the same thing happen in a new cooking pot that I accidentally left water in for a little over a week. It only showed up around the rivets for the handles.
This doesn't really answer the question of "what is it?", though. Sorry.

Is it a new bucket? I ask because I had the same thing happen in a new cooking pot that I accidentally left water in for a little over a week. It only showed up around the rivets for the handles.
This doesn't really answer the question of "what is it?", though. Sorry.

No it's an older bucket, there was white stuff accumulating at the bottom of the bucket too in little chunks, I dumped it out before taking photos tho.

Back
Top Bottom