Is this swim bladder disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This has been going on forever now in my neon tetras and somewhat in my danios but also in my gold barbs, but whenever I feed them their stomachs look slightly bloated and they have trouble swimming down as if there's a huge air bubble in their stomach pulling them up. If it is swim bladder it's very mild but it seems to not be getting worse at all or harming the fish, just looks unnatural every time I feed them.

The neons which I've had for years have had this problem every time I fed them but after about half an hour or so all fish start swimming normally again. It's strange

Also I looked up some foods to give to fish with swim bladder disease and aside from the famous skinned peas, something called frozen daphnia are effective as well

Keep in mind I have not seen a single fish swim strangely when not being fed, and I've NEVER seen any swim sideways or upside down as described under the symptoms of SBD, even during feeding time.

Hi!

It looks like you are over feeding your fish.:eek: You need to cut down on food during feeding time and make sure you're only giving them what they can eat in 2 minutes. To much food can cause health problems and fowl the water.

In case you were wondering, what's happening is that when you're over feeding your fish, their stomachs are bloating up, and as they digest it, their stomach is going back down.
I hope I helped!!!! Good Luck!:D

Perhaps the fish food type is not helping as well if it is old or a poor brand?

I was wondering this too. Well, considering both posts, I got a new pack of frozen daphnia to help digestion and a brand new can of fish food.

I was wondering this too. Well, considering both posts, I got a new pack of frozen daphnia to help digestion and a brand new can of fish food.

Are you feeding floating food? Also, if you only feed once or twice, it could be the fish are taking in air in their rush to feed from the surface. Try feeding sinking granular (pelleted) food and see if that makes a difference. Dry flake taken as soon as it hits the surface is still.gling to contain air, which the fish will.have to expel.

Frozen daphnia is excellent for digestion due to the balance of protein and 'roughage' present in the body structure of these crustaceans. Other frozen or live natural.foods are also excellent. Chop some earthworms up too.

Are you feeding floating food? Also, if you only feed once or twice, it could be the fish are taking in air in their rush to feed from the surface. Try feeding sinking granular (pelleted) food and see if that makes a difference. Dry flake taken as soon as it hits the surface is still.gling to contain air, which the fish will.have to expel.

Frozen daphnia is excellent for digestion due to the balance of protein and 'roughage' present in the body structure of these crustaceans. Other frozen or live natural.foods are also excellent. Chop some earthworms up too.

This seems pretty likely as I always see them gulping at the surface whenever they think theyre eating food, even if its just a bubble or even another surface fish xD

I do notice when I fed them daphnia none of them were struggling to swim or had bloating, may be a coincidence but daphnia just seems digest friendly

Back
Top Bottom