Is this tacky or not permitted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if any of you have asked pet store employees if you can net your own fish? The Petsmart where I have gotten all of my fish (luckily so far all healthy) is always very busy in the fish department. When they are busy like that I worry that they are netting them too fast so they can get on to the next customer. Would it be okay, or even permitted, for me to ask in a nice way if I could net my own fish? I could word it like, "I see how busy you are, while you wait on another customer I would be happy to net my own fish". How does that sound?

I don't see any harm in asking, but they will probably tell you it is a liability thing....

Yeah, I doubt they would say yes. There are a number of scenarios the Pet Store would see as possibilities that could cause problems for them.

For example, what if you net the fish "badly" and take it home, and then it dies right away? You could then bring the fish back to the store and claim they sold you a "sick" fish and demand a refund.

Or, what if one of the fish you are trying to net jumps out of the net on to the floor? Would they make you pay for it?

I think these are the types of considerations they would worry about.

And it also would give the store an out of you had problems with the fishy - "well it must have been the way you netted it..."

I see all of your points...but, how do you keep an employee from netting a fish too quickly themselves...like they are in a hurry and just want to get to the next customer? Playing devil's advocate here...

I work retail (in a copy center not in a petstore though) and I will tell you that if you present yourself as in a hurry and can't be bothered we all will pretty much tell you NO on a request like that...unless it's an acceptable standard in the industry which it sounds like it isn't.

But if you take the time to be friendly with an employee or two on a regular basis and then present them with your concerns they may give you the world. I've got a customer that I allow to use our guillotine style cutter (which is SOOOO against policy...like lose-my-job against policy) when I'm busy because she presented a well-founded arguement, was a customer I looked forward to seeing, and showed that she clearly had more knowledge than anyone on my crew including probably myself. It might be difficult to build up a report with them but I can tell you even the busiest copy shops arn't always busy.

I only buy my fish from one LFS and only request them from two people that I think I've built-up a pretty good report with (sharing stories, asking for advice, just being friendly...smile as they approch and let them ask you for help before you say anything if possible). I will ask them for the fish when they can and will go elsewhere in the store until they are bagged and ready for purchase. I know saying, "Get me 8 healthy head and tailights whenever you can," and then leaving them alone to do the job is probably out of your comfort zone but from my personal experience this is the type of customer that I do my BEST work for and I've never had a problem with any fish I've bought this way.

I see all of your points...but, how do you keep an employee from netting a fish too quickly themselves...like they are in a hurry and just want to get to the next customer? Playing devil's advocate here...

What YOU would have to do is get all dolled up and then hope that the person netting the fish was a guy. Once you get him to net your fish, simply flirt with him. Hey, he may even throw in a couple extra ;)

That same tactic wouldn't work for me LOL.

LOL! Funny....
Today...I got the girl that I don't particularly like. she is nice and all but she is rough when she nets the fish IMO....but she was the only one around...bummer

I know from previous work exp that Petsmart has a no none employee hand in tank policy. The major reason being most people ware lotion and stuff which can cause harm to fish. All of the petco's i have shoped at and bought from i always ask if i can grab what i want and they put the prices on it and they usually say yes. It really just depends on the person and whos around. Most people that work in those departments usually dont like it and if they dont have to get there hands wet they wont.
On another note, you wouldnt believe how many people id see per week grab the fish kart and go start bagging there own fish or attempting to. Some people just dont care. and those are the fun ones to mess with : ) ive seen people come in, steal fish. Come back the next day later and try to return them ( ALL petsmarts have a 1 year , no receipt needed, returns or exchanges from ANY pet store anywhere ) silly people.
But to answer your question, just ask and you never know what will happen. The worse case, they say no and they get your fish.

I think that purchasing fish is much like purchasing a car. You need to be willing to walk away if the deal isn't right. If they're too busy when you're there, or you don't like the way the employee bags fish, be willing to walk away without your purchase. Ask when they tend to be less busy and come back then. Take some time to chat with the employee. Let them know about your concerns reguarding bagging fish. Make sure to bring this up in a positive manner addressing the better health of the fish rather than accusing the employee of bad bagging. If the person you are talking with seems receptive this would be a good time about asking to bag your own fish. If they say no, then you need to be either willing to have them bag your fish or walk away.

I was at wal mart a couple days ago and there were several people in fish isle looking at fish and this older woman employee and 2 young women who were just learning the ins and outs of working in the fish isle, they were scared of some of the fish/frogs etc and spending more time laughing and playing than netting fish. I was in a hurry so I asked if I could net my own fish, not really expecting them to say yes, but they did lol so they handed me a bag filled with water and a net and I got 2 of the nicest largest female gold dust mollies I have ever seen. Mollies are my personal fav. People are always saying don't buy fish at Wal Mart, they will die but I have never had any trouble with any I have gotten there. I heard once that if you walk through the magnetic scanner thing at the exit that will make the fish die and I never go through that, I use the door off to the side. don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. Anyway, I figure if you ask to net your own fish they are either going to say yes or no. If they say no, your no worse off than you were but they might just say yes. You never know.

I've got three LFSs I now trust (after a few disasters) and spent time building a rapport with them. They would definitely let me bag my own fish if I asked. That said, they are not chain stores such as Petco, or our equivallent, Pets Paradise.

I told my hairdresser last week that finding a good LFS is like finding a good hairdresser. Once you find a good one, hang on to them with your life! ;)

I work at PetSmart and truuuust me. If you asked me if you could net your own fish, I'd probably hug you.

I highly doubt anyone would get upset or offended if you wanted to take an extra 5 to 10 minutes of work out of their hands. =]

I work at PetSmart and truuuust me. If you asked me if you could net your own fish, I'd probably hug you.

I highly doubt anyone would get upset or offended if you wanted to take an extra 5 to 10 minutes of work out of their hands. =]

Well, that is good to know. I might just try it the next time I go in then. ;)

Back
Top Bottom