Is This Tank Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kc27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gallon long tank with a sand bottom. It's mostly open with one decent sized Anubias plant in the back and a couple of aquarium ornaments. The tank has six neon tetras, five Cory cats, and three red velvet platys. Is this too big a load for this tank?

The platys are a recent addition, because the cory cats are the only fish swimming thoroughout the entire tank. The neon tetras rarely leave the vicinity of the anubias plant, even when the aquarium light is off. They pretty much hover near the plant all the time except at feeding time, when they will move around the tank for food.

So do I need to reduce the number of fish in this tank?

Thanks for the reply. The five cory cats are peppered cory cats.

My bros neons act similar. I think they would be more confident with dense planting.

My bros neons act similar. I think they would be more confident with dense planting.

+1 To this. I have 12 in my heavily planted 46 gallon and they are everywhere in my tank, even with rams and an angel for tank mates.

Your tank is fine and I agree that you could even add another species.

If you up the neon school, you'd get a lot more action from them. They're very shy. I'd do a dozen (in which case you can forget about adding another species).

Your tank would really pop then.

I must say that tetras feel truly safe in groups of 10+ individuals. Since you have Neons and they stay pretty darn small I agree 12 would be a great school.

I also think they would come out more if you had more plants. The more plants, yet again, the safer they will feel. With a larger group and dense planting, you should see them more often.

Sounds like a great stocking!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll start with more plants. and see how that goes.

I like the idea of going from 6 to 12 neon tetras just to get them moving, and for the effect of a larger grouip, but it seems like that 20 gallon tank will then be awfully crowded.

Overstocked Tank?

I have a 20 gallon long tank with a sand bottom. It's mostly open with one decent sized Anubias plant in the back and a couple of aquarium ornaments. The tank has six neon tetras, five Cory cats, and three red velvet platys. Is this too big a load for this tank?

The platys are a recent addition, because the cory cats are the only fish swimming thoroughout the entire tank. The neon tetras rarely leave the vicinity of the anubias plant, even when the aquarium light is off. They pretty much hover near the plant all the time except at feeding time, when they will move around the tank for food.

So do I need to reduce the number of fish in this tank?

Hello kc...

I don't think your tank is overstocked, but you should commit to an aggressive water change routine to make sure water conditions are clean and stable. The way to do this is to remove and replace half the water in the tank every week. Your Platys will reproduce quickly in pure water conditions, so you'll need to think about a larger tank unless you can find someone who'll take your "Livebearer" fry.

I've never been a fan of small tanks. I just couldn't get a handle on keeping them as clean as needed.

B

What kind of filter do you have? I would suggest 50% weekly water changes. You could get lots more plants if you want, it will help keep the water quality up also. Some java fern, hornwort, and moss.

Hello kc...

I don't think your tank is overstocked, but you should commit to an aggressive water change routine to make sure water conditions are clean and stable. The way to do this is to remove and replace half the water in the tank every week. Your Platys will reproduce quickly in pure water conditions, so you'll need to think about a larger tank unless you can find someone who'll take your "Livebearer" fry.

I've never been a fan of small tanks. I just couldn't get a handle on keeping them as clean as needed.

B

Ahhhh, can't believe we forgot to ask. Are your Platies all males or is it 1 male and 2 females. If they are all males you have nothing to worry about except maybe a little aggression here and there. However if they are male and females you will be overrun with fry.

The filter is an Aquaclear 200 with sponge, charcoal and bio module inserts.

The platies are 1 male and 2 females (that is the ratio the store recommended, and that is if they sexed them correctly - I cannot really tell them apart). The platies have only been in the tank since last week, and if they do result in fry, the fish store in this area will take them.

I did add some watersprite plants to add some shade. they are just floating in the tank. Maybe another upright plant to go with the anubias that's already there would help, something like Vallisneria.

Back
Top Bottom