Is this weird or normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00youknowit00

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, so yesterday I found my platy "sitting" on the gravel, not sure why, and tonight I find my platy and my molly now "sitting" on the gravel, the platy never moves around, and the molly move a tiny bit eveeh now and then, does anyone know what's going on??

kelly77143 said:
Mmm are they female? And pregnant?

I have no clue how to sex them, but there's only 1 molly and 1 platy in the tank, so I don't know how they could be pregnant, unless I bought them this way.. I've had each about 3 weeks I say.

Ahh, worked this time.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110707_002336.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110707_002336.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 130
  • ForumRunner_20110707_002455.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110707_002455.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 125
You can google male/female fish also. It could be that they are pregnant... Most dalmation mollies are female. That can carry sperm for 6 months. So they don't need a male in the tank to have babies.

Are they breathing hard? Looking sick? Eating?

Sitting on the gravel isn't typically normal behavior for these fish. I have seen this as a beginning sign of illness like ich and velvet. Keep an eye on them for any white spots or a copper-ish dusting effect. Are these newly purchased fish?

The platy eats very little, always has, the molly eats like a pig haha, to the point where when I'm doing pwcs it eats stirred up stuff! No breathing hard, no signs of anything. I'm so confused lol

siva said:
Sitting on the gravel isn't typically normal behavior for these fish. I have seen this as a beginning sign of illness like ich and velvet. Keep an eye on them for any white spots or a copper-ish dusting effect. Are these newly purchased fish?

3-4 weeks "old"

siva said:
If no fish have been added within the past 2 weeks it's unlikely one of those things. What are you water parameters? Ammo, nitrite, nitrate?

I'm in the process of a in fish cycle, got started in the wrong direction by my LFS..

Ammonia: 0.00-0.25ppm
NitrIte: 0.25ppm
NitrAre: 0.00ppm

Well in that case, their behavior makes sense. You need to try and knock that nitrite out..I'd do a large water change asap and dose with some extra Prime to neutralize what's left.

Back
Top Bottom