Is this worth repairing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookie1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am in the process of resealing my 45 gallon tank (25w x 18d x 25h) and noticed the seams in the front. Can this be repaired? If so, how? I am little worried about filling this tank since it holds a lot of water! Please help! I have already scraped out all of the old silicone and it is ready to be resealed.

Attachments

• tank 1.jpg
    tank 1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 96
  • tank 2.jpg
    tank 2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 92
  • tank 3.jpg
    tank 3.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 91
can't really tell what you are trying to display. Is the silicone leaking out from the butt joints? Does it hold water?

Yes, it does hold water, but I was worried when I noticed the water marks between the joints. I am wondering if I scraped out too much and got too close to the joints. I didn't notice it until I had removed the old silicone, cleaned it out and let it sit before I resealed it. I am concerned that it will separate.

i take my silicone all the way down to where the 2 pieces meet and then put new in. if theres any wory about leaking i fill it up out side with water and let it set over night. mark the water line and see if it has droped

no leave the joint alone and just take all the rest out. if u do accidentally get some out of the joint just push some new in.

Everything is totally scraped out, I was just concerned that the silicone would not adhere to the joint since there is something between the glass, then after I fill it with water I was afraid that the pressure would result in a blowout. Any suggestions on what to clean it with before I reseal? I cleaned the tank with vinegar and then I used rubbing alcohol where the silicone was. I think it is the vinegar water that is caught between the glass.
Should I try to run a bead of silicone on the outside seam line too?

just rinse it well and dry with a clean towel the silicone that u put on the inside should be sufficient but for good measures you can add a little to the seam on the outside if u feel more comfortable doing it. fill it outside when its dry to make sure theres no leaks

Back
Top Bottom