is wpg really accurate??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GIMojo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I mean, the recommended amount is like 2wpg but 3wpg is very good.

lights dont come in 50w. they come in 15w,20w,30w,40w. the 40w bulbs are quite expensive and i got myself 4, 30w bulbs. makes a total of 120w. I think my tank is around 70-80 gallons, so now i either have 1.7wpg or 1.5wpg.

if i buy 4, 40w bulb(which will get me into loans and prostitution) i still dont get 3wpg. so, how do tanks larger than 70 gallons get the light needed to keep very high lighted plants???

the wpg rule was devised back when NO florecent bulbs were the only option for lighting.. if the lights are CF or ODNO the numbers are a little higher then what is nessisary.
your 30 watt bulbs are 36" T-12 bulbs right? if you have read the 29gallon ODNO tread he was overdriving 2-24 bulbs in series.. well if you have a pair of the proper ballasts you could do the same thing.. :p (the electronic ballasts would need to be ratted to do 6foot bulbs though making your ballasts bigger) I know that a pair of WH7 will do this job.. maybe the WH6 would do it but it would take e-mailing Fulham to get the specs..
The spec to look for is "4 X F60T12". :p

T-12 is the diameter of the bulb. Overdriving your bulbs can be a great cheat for getting more light, but you have to be comfortable re-wiring your fixture. Outside of that you can probably order some of the higher end set ups premade. They get real expensive real fast though.

where are you buying bulbs that'll force you into street walking? Around here, I can get a 40watt tube from a hardware store for like, $10.

Back
Top Bottom