Is your tank covered?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My little 2 gallon bowl (with a waterfall type filter) would lose about a cup of water a day, I can't imagine how much a 40 gallon breeder would lose with all that surface area. On top of that, you have to wonder where all that water is going. If it doesn't condense on the surfaces of your house, it's going to make your air conditioner work harder in the summer. Also, your tank heater(s) are going to work harder to keep it at temp.

But my main reason was that it gave me the ability to fill the water up to about 3/4 of an inch from the top and not worry about fish jumping out or water just plain splashing out and hitting me or the wall or landing on the carpet. I was worried that over the years there would be staining on the wall or carpet from the constant drops landing in the same spot, especially from the filters splashing.

If for no other reason, look at all the water that's on the bottom of the lid...that would all have evaporated out of the tank instead of dripped back in.

Having said that, I'm going to set up a QT tank and likely won't put a lid on that unless I can find a really cheap one.

Yes, even covered my white clouds and rasboras manage to find a tiny hole to jump through to the carpet.

I have 18 tanks all covered with glass lids, with that much evaporation my fish room walls would literally dripping!

I have all open top tanks even the 220g. I think it's a matter of preference and what works best for each individual and their tank/s.

I have glass covers on mine. Put a four bulb fixture on 29g(its wide!) now it's a fight between glass and light every time I work on or feed, LOL But will keep the glass. I just need to do some "Red Neck" engineering. OS.

i dont use any type of lid on my 38 gallon, its in a nice open room with an A/C vent directly above (not pointing at the tank though) so any evaporation is dispersed and does not form on one spot on the ceiling, also im in san antonio so humidity is 100% most of the time anyways.

none of my fish have tried to jump out, and my light is much brighter at the bottom of the tank without the lid so i prefer no lid :)

55 no lid I add 5 gallons a week at 76 deg water temp and 73 room temp the light show no the ceiling is worth that alone and mine jump at feeding time only

My 20g Long is not covered, but I may get a lid in the future, I am not sure yet.). :)

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat simplicitysarah. And just like what was mentioned about with, "no lid and lets more light to the bottom of the tank" I like that idea but at the same time I do like the look of a glass top and it would help keep the evaporation in. Really it's all on personal preference and either way it really shouldn't effect the fish.

I don't have a lid on my 10g or 36g bowfront nor will I on my 40B. I do have egg crate on them to keep the fish from committing seppuku. :)

Glass lids for all of mine except the Evolve 4s, which came with their little acrylic tops.

My 20 long was having too much evaporation without a lid, and the tanks in the kitchen and living room need to be covered to keep my cats from going fishing.

Back
Top Bottom