Issues with getting siphon to start on Fluval Edge!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electro_cute

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone,

I have a 6G Fluval Edge tank and we always have issues getting the siphon to start flowing. My partner always end up "sucking" on the end of the tube to get it flowing. As far as I remember our siphon has the "automatic" start feature but due to the small size of our tank it's hard to get the water to start by simply moving the tube up and down quickly.

Any suggestions? Do any of you have the official Fluval Edge siphon? Is it actually better?

Side question: Should I be vacuuming the gravel when I do PWCs? I'm scared it may slow down my cycle.

:thanks:

Hey everyone,

I have a 6G Fluval Edge tank and we always have issues getting the siphon to start flowing. My partner always end up "sucking" on the end of the tube to get it flowing. As far as I remember our siphon has the "automatic" start feature but due to the small size of our tank it's hard to get the water to start by simply moving the tube up and down quickly.

Any suggestions? Do any of you have the official Fluval Edge siphon? Is it actually better?

Side question: Should I be vacuuming the gravel when I do PWCs? I'm scared it may slow down my cycle.

:thanks:

I would wait a while to vacuum the gravel, let a little bacteria get stored up in there.

And I don't know about other people, but I've been doing this for 5 years and I've always just used my mouth to get it flowing, it's fast and painless.

Peace,
Ben

For small tanks that don't have room to do it normally and fill tube up and tip to the sky then submerge while water is running down the tube to start siphon I just put my shirt over the other end and suck so lips don't actually touch the tube and catch something lol

Lol everyone is going to
Make fun of me but I actually use air hoses for pwc. I use a turkey Baster to start my syphon and let it start draining. U can vacuum up waste with the tube even. U can also use the turkey Baster for cleaning up debri that u don't get with the hose;) I don't even use my small gravel vac. It's to much trouble :)

Flossie said:
Lol everyone is going to
Make fun of me but I actually use air hoses for pwc. I use a turkey Baster to start my syphon and let it start draining. U can vacuum up waste with the tube even. U can also use the turkey Baster for cleaning up debri that u don't get with the hose;) I don't even use my small gravel vac. It's to much trouble :)

What a great way to use a (dedicated) turkey baster. Very "outside" the box. Lol

jen31972 said:
What a great way to use a (dedicated) turkey baster. Very "outside" the box. Lol

Lol lol thanks :) someone told me how
Handy they were :) now I have at least three for my tanks

Lol everyone is going to

No laughing here... I have used a turkey baster before too! :hide:

electro_cute said:
No laughing here... I have used a turkey baster before too! :hide:

They are essential IMO. wish I could remember who told me about them for fish keeping

They have all sorts of ways to start syphons but the reality is that the quickest and most reliable is to suck the end. It doesn't take much, maybe half a second suck and the water starts flowing. I never get water in my mouth, but it's not the end of the world if you do, just don't swallow it!

I have a python and it is the best thing! I don't need to use my mouth to start it. Either does anyone else for that matter. All you need to do is fill the tube with water a make sure it's higher then the other end. I just dunking fill it up once and start vacuuming! It takes seconds! Plus it has a shut off valve so if I need to stop for a sec I can without having to restart the suction! It's amazing!!!! I recommend it to everyone!!!!! And if you need to see how to start a syphon in seconds without tasting fish water you tube has plenty!

FishCrazyBenBOMB said:
I would wait a while to vacuum the gravel, let a little bacteria get stored up in there.

And I don't know about other people, but I've been doing this for 5 years and I've always just used my mouth to get it flowing, it's fast and painless.

Peace,
Ben

Its not the answer on the ask question...

There is a little pump from marina brand for 8 $ that does the start for you.

Km84 said:
I have a python and it is the best thing! I don't need to use my mouth to start it. Either does anyone else for that matter. All you need to do is fill the tube with water a make sure it's higher then the other end. I just dunking fill it up once and start vacuuming! It takes seconds! Plus it has a shut off valve so if I need to stop for a sec I can without having to restart the suction! It's amazing!!!! I recommend it to everyone!!!!! And if you need to see how to start a syphon in seconds without tasting fish water you tube has plenty!

Pythons rock for larger tanks. No doubt :) no more buckets :D

Back
Top Bottom