It appears as if I may be cycled or close to it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got my tank setup and running with driftwood and plants from established tanks the Saturday before last. I added fish, three guppies a week ago today along with Tetra safestart (bacteria in a bottle) The next day I added two red wag platies, the day after that (Friday) I added one more guppy. Not adding any more fish until I know I am cycled. I did a pwc on Saturday, Actually two of them. One that morning and another that night.

I have been testing daily with the API master kit and the readings have all been pretty much 0 except for just barely trace amounts of Ammonia (like barely registering .25. Just checked a few minutes ago and Ammonia is zero, nitrites are zero and nitrates read at least 10 or higher and I tested twice to double check. Does this mean I am cycled and the tetra safestart worked? I am still gonna wait a couple of weeks before adding more fish, but I would like to hear from the experts (those who have gone through this a few times) to see if I am cycled or close to it? I had planned to do another pwc today, but wanted to test before and after. Well with my before results what they are should I do the pwc today or wait until Saturday?

60 gallon long with driftwood and around 10 plants such as anubias and java ferns.

I got my tank setup and running with driftwood and plants from established tanks the Saturday before last. I added fish, three guppies a week ago today along with Tetra safestart (bacteria in a bottle) The next day I added two red wag platies, the day after that (Friday) I added one more guppy. Not adding any more fish until I know I am cycled. I did a pwc on Saturday, Actually two of them. One that morning and another that night.

I have been testing daily with the API master kit and the readings have all been pretty much 0 except for just barely trace amounts of Ammonia (like barely registering .25. Just checked a few minutes ago and Ammonia is zero, nitrites are zero and nitrates read at least 10 or higher and I tested twice to double check. Does this mean I am cycled and the tetra safestart worked? I am still gonna wait a couple of weeks before adding more fish, but I would like to hear from the experts (those who have gone through this a few times) to see if I am cycled or close to it? I had planned to do another pwc today, but wanted to test before and after. Well with my before results what they are should I do the pwc today or wait until Saturday?

60 gallon long with driftwood and around 10 plants such as anubias and java ferns.

Actually, I did not test the water yesterday. Just remembered that. Other than that I have tested daily.

I would wait a bit. It seems a bit short for a full or close cycle.

Yes, I plan to wait a good while before adding more fish and when I do it will be just a couple at a time. My question is do my test results indicate I am cycled? It at least means there is major progress does it not? The mom and pop fish store owner told me the tetra safestart really works. Said he cycles all of his tanks with it. Is it possible the stuff actually did the job?

Also, it might just be you're plants that are absorbing the ammonia and nitrite before the bacteria could even start:/

How would that account for my nitrate reading though? From what I understand, nitrate only occurs after the nitrification process?

Yes, I plan to wait a good while before adding more fish and when I do it will be just a couple at a time. My question is do my test results indicate I am cycled? It at least means there is major progress does it not? The mom and pop fish store owner told me the tetra safestart really works. Said he cycles all of his tanks with it. Is it possible the stuff actually did the job?
Might, but my probability would be you're plants are absorbing the ammonia. That's my best guess. If you had no fish, it would be better for testing. Because you could add ammonia and see the progress.

By those test results yes those are cycled readings. As stated and I know your waiting, I would keep testing to be sure. It is possible that the terra safe start could have worked, it's hard to say if it did or not. Few have had success with those kind of products. If you could get seeded media from your LFS (make sure it's a healthy tank that the media comes from) that will also help things along even more.

By those test results yes those are cycled readings. As stated and I know your waiting, I would keep testing to be sure. It is possible that the terra safe start could have worked, it's hard to say if it did or not. Few have had success with those kind of products. If you could get seeded media from your LFS (make sure it's a healthy tank that the media comes from) that will also help things along even more.

Actually I have heard several people, both on here and acquaintances that say tetra safestart actually does work even though they say most of the bacteria in a bottle products do not work. While I believed the stuff would work I am still pretty surprised, but yes, I will continue to test and wait a good while before adding more fish.

Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? As long as you are testing on a regular basis and taking care of any spikes, you should be fine. But since your tank is not mature, I would expect a spike at some point. Don't rinse your filter media until it gets good and gunky.

Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? As long as you are testing on a regular basis and taking care of any spikes, you should be fine. But since your tank is not mature, I would expect a spike at some point. Don't rinse your filter media until it gets good and gunky.

Yes, I tested my tap. Everything is zero. PH is 7.8. Thanks for the tips.

Back
Top Bottom