It is a long good bye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shacker66

Aquarium Advice Activist
My buddy who started my love for keeping fish again Archie (Betta) I found him at my neighbors in the smallest bowl I mean maybe a cup and a half in size. I brought him home and after some research i gave him a 10 gallon home. After some more research I found out he was old. But he was enjoying his new home.
That was about 5 months ago.
The last two weeks his age started showing even more. I have done everything I can.
Now I am just making him comfortable it is hard to watch him like this.
With the eptom salt I put in today only half dose his fin by his gill his perked up.
He is dying I can't get my self to put him out of his misery. Other fish I have been able to but not him. He means the most to me.
I guess I can know he had 5 months of happiness.
It is a long good bye Archie. You will be missed.

It is hard to see them not at their best.

I had to keep Epsom Salt in the tank for the rest of one of my fishes life because when I didn't he would be looking like the very last days. So I just kept it in there for him and he pretty much stayed with very little movement but would come up to eat most of the time.

Not saying your will need the ES too, but worth a shot. Make sure temp is warm, min. 78-80F. 1tsp per gallon but maybe try incrementally increasing it to 1 tablespoon per gallon for a week or 10 days (like a treatment) and see how he does. Then back down to a 1 tsp per G. gradually with water changes.

Also I did more water changes than I normally would have.

You might also try reducing the tank size to a 5G. Sometimes (just my guess) is the pressure on their Labyrinth being in a larger tank makes more water pressure on them and is harder to breath well).

Towards the end with mine I reduced the water level to somewhat above half.

Also starting the grieving process now is useful as it help imho. Consider as well if another fish sooner than later would be more helpful or just taking a break for a little while might be more helpful for you personally. And although another fish never is exactly the same as the original, (do not expect it) they can be good pals.

So sorry Archie's time is closing in. Maybe out of some of the suggestions, you might find something to give him greater comfort.

My buddy who started my love for keeping fish again Archie (Betta) I found him at my neighbors in the smallest bowl I mean maybe a cup and a half in size. I brought him home and after some research i gave him a 10 gallon home. After some more research I found out he was old. But he was enjoying his new home.
That was about 5 months ago.
The last two weeks his age started showing even more. I have done everything I can.
Now I am just making him comfortable it is hard to watch him like this.
With the eptom salt I put in today only half dose his fin by his gill his perked up.
He is dying I can't get my self to put him out of his misery. Other fish I have been able to but not him. He means the most to me.
I guess I can know he had 5 months of happiness.
It is a long good bye Archie. You will be missed.
Hello, I had a plakat female who was indigo in color(blue lady). I had her for 3+yrs. When it was her time I just couldn't bring myself to euthanize her so when she started struggling to get to surface to breathe I put her in a breeding net,lowered waterline to a couple inches & softened her pellets in garlic water to make her more comfortable. Hope this helps you!!!!!

Im sure he loved being in your care. Sucks to lose a friend but we enjoy the times they spent with us.

Thank you on to caring for the rest wow 5 aquariums is a big job. Been working on keeping earthy smell down do not know what more I can do

Back
Top Bottom