It is INSANE.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteAngel

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay... I just got off the phone with a very close friend of mine, Jason. Who lives quite close, and boy am I going to be checking this out.

------------------------------
Anyways. He just got through telling me that his father [a real freshwater angel freak] gave up the job of supplying a local pet-store with home grown angels cause he wasn't getting paid enough to do so and it was cutting into his work.

My friend's father has a 2500 GALLON indoor tank located in the basement of the house.

The 2500 gallon tank was used to house the fry of about 30 breeding pairs of angels.

Besides that, he has a 600 gallon tank and a 400 gallon tank.

The 600 gallon tank was used to breed 30 angel pairs. [A large forest of plastic and live plants cut out the borders].

And the 400 gallon tank was used as a back-up.

Since my friend's father is no longer going to breed angels, those HUGE tanks, even the 2500 GALLON is up for grabs [not for sale sadly, I'd so buy it :cry: ] for any fish that can go in.

What ideas for these 3 tanks?

2500 gallon tank
600 gallon tank
400 gallon tank

I'm assuming you're asking what he could do with it?

if he has the time and $$, I'd suggest turning the 2500g into a marine tank. Lots can be done with a marine tank that size.

I'd do biotopes for the other 2; maybe some of the larger exotics (like arrowanas or knifefish) would do well in good size tanks like that.

Btw, ask him what dad is doing with the rest of the angels *grin*

:D How would one get a 2500 gal tank into the basement???????? How would you get it out? I had a tough enough time getting a fridge down those stairs.

Here is one of the few people who could actually grow out a red-tail catfish or any of the various monsters that some LFS sell.

:eek2: 8O :eek2: 8O :eek2: 8O :eek2: 8O :eek2:
WOW! Is there any way you could post some pics of this setup?
I wonder how thick the glass or acrylic has to be on a 2500 gal tank.

With those tanks, you could have a school of bala sharks or a school of pacus!

Ha, I never thought I would ever see the words 'school' and 'pacu' so close together in the same sentence! :p

I don't know why everyone is getting so anxious about.

He said the gallon size, but he did not say the diametters.

And as we know, its the ammount of space given on the horizontal [ for most fish ] that matter, So if these tanks are custom built, and are built taller, but shorter and so much, they might not be as suitable for the larger fish as you think.

Seeing as its in a basement, I'm assuming a maximum height of 10 feet. At 2500 gallons, there's still plenty of room for the other dimensions. If it were 10 feet tall, it'd still be 6 foot wide and 6 foot deep.

I'd wager it's as wide as one of the basement walls..probably 3 feet tall, 3-5 feet deep. 3 feet would be an easy height to maintain, if it's at floor level. Ditto on the depth.

there's a 2000 gallon tank near me in a restaurant called Willy's. I haven't seen it, but I'm told its 3'x3'x24'

I haven't seen this tank myself, since I usually meet my friend outside his house.

Anyways, I believe it is something quite similar to 3' tall, by 6' wide, and about 18 - 22' long.

So it is pretty big.

The house is newly built, and the tank was one of the first things added. So basically, the basement was made, the tank added the then the rest of the house followed.

I think my friend's father has a few, maybe ten angels, left. Blacks and a hybrid white blushing/black cross which is kind of grey with blushing gills.

Rich or poor, it's nice to have money *LOL*

I think in NY a 2500 gal tank would be called the Hudson River

For those interested in the angels, which are for sale.

Visit the classifieds. They are mentioned under this post. "10 freshwater Angels for sale, fry."

WhiteAngel said:
Anyways, I believe it is something quite similar to 3' tall, by 6' wide, and about 18 - 22' long.

That's about half the size of my livingroom!

Hmmm, I wonder...if I lined the floor and walls of my livingroom with 3-foot-high acrylic, sealed it up, and filled it with 5000 gal of water...would I lose my security deposit? :D

Oh... About the size of the tank's sides.

It is mainly glass, which is 5 inches thick. But as a safety precaution, there is two layers of inch thick acrylic on either side of the glass.

So basically you have one 1-inch-wide layer of acrylic, then five inches of glass, and another 1-inch-wide layer of acrylic.

William said:
Holy Cripes thats alot of glass and acrylic! 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Yeah, no wonder they had it built with the house.
How do you move a piece of glass that big? (Besides very carefully :wink:) I would think that you would need a crane.

WhiteAngel, you have to borrow a digital camera and get some pics of this guy's basement!!!! :D

I'll try... But he has gone away to Flordia with his father, and I don't have a key to the house.

But basically, invision a large stairway leading down into a VERY brightly lit room. About 3/4 of the room is taken over by the 2500 gallon tank and then in the right side corner, the breeding and backup tanks are located.

Any ideas for fish to put in these tanks?

The 2500 gallon will probably be marine..
But the 400 and 600 gallon are up to anything.

Back
Top Bottom