it was the best of times, it was the worst of times

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
hey everyone, I woke to a sad sight this morning. Ever since I setup my 10 gallon ( which was upgraded to a 29 recently ) I have had the most beautiful, friendly betta that thereever was. He was a gorgeous midnight blue with a personality that would make anyone smile. Today I woke to find him completely tore apart, his tail, fins, eyes and chest was all completely gone, his insides were gone and he was a nothing but a shell. Now I know its a given that you never mix certain fish togeether, but for 8 months or so I have thesame tiger barbs in with this fish and never once did they fin nip anything, everyone lived in peace and the betta would sometimes even chace the barbs lol. The only time I started having problems that I noticed was when I fed the fish bloodworms, the tiger barbs gobbled them up in no time and I guess it gave them the taste for meat and the betta became the victim. I had to change 10 gallons out of the 29 to get all the leftover parts off the gravel bed. But he didn't go down the toilet, like any fallen soldier he got a proper burial this afternoon even his own grave marker. Sorry this was so long. Dinky you will truely be missed!!!

Sorry to here about your loss. Some times are fishy freinds can become family and the pain is real when they are lost. I wonder if all fishes go to heaven?

Sorry for your loss. I find that aggression can spring up without warning. It's sad but nature's way sometimes.

I sorry you lost Dinky.
It's possible that Dinky died of natural causes during the night and the tiger barbs just took advantage of the situation. I don't know why, but I find the thought of cannibalistic fish less disturbing than murderous ones.

I'm so sorry for your loss. They really DO become part of the family - especially bettas since they are intelligent (and at the least they do a very good impersonation of intelligence !).
Thank you for posting your story. Dinky will help others learn through his (and your) experience.

thanks everyone, I noticed now that my tiger barbs all huddle under my driftwood and just stare at me the whole day until its feeding time, I think there plotting for the next fish

Back
Top Bottom