Itch to start another tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra1990

Aquarium Advice Addict
This morning I have the urge to start a 3rd tank. Nothing big max I'd go is 5 gallons. And it would most likely be just for plants. I'm sure I could very easily convince my mom into it. The key is the initial start up cost and I need a place to put it. Here is what my equipment list +/- a few things:

5g bow front with lid and low light
Dark bag of Eco-complete substrate
Gnarly chunk of dw
Various micro swords, mosses and ferns. Remember, low maintaince.
root tabs- already have these.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Sounds great. Maybe turn it into a shrimp tank once it's up & running for a while. That's what I did with my 2nd tank. It's a 15 gallon column planted. I love watching shrimp. And it's a good way to keep the tank clean. I put in a couple of ottos & 4 ember tetras too just because I can't seem to quit. I pick up my 3rd tank next week..., thinking nano reef as its a 14gallon cube with all salt setup.

I'd like to follow along, is a 7.9g cube out of the question? I just picked up a fluval flora which I'm pretty thrilled with. Cost was $120 and has everything you need for a planted tank minus the actual plants or DW/rocks. I don't know what your budget is, but I thought this kit was pretty cost effective.

Thanks for the input everyone. Right now it's just a crazy thought and not really in the foreseeable future. I'm heading to Alaska and the Yukon on the 23rd and today I just dropped over $200 on a new camera+equipment :/ but on the 12th is my birthday so I have a few excuses to drop the cash. And yes, shrimp will be apart of this tank!

I'd like to follow along, is a 7.9g cube out of the question? I just picked up a fluval flora which I'm pretty thrilled with. Cost was $120 and has everything you need for a planted tank minus the actual plants or DW/rocks. I don't know what your budget is, but I thought this kit was pretty cost effective.

I almost bought that but I found the 15 gallon column for $80 at Petsmart & the bag of Fluval stratum was on sale at my LFS for $5 a bag. That's the way I went. This is it right now

image-101133445.jpg

I almost bought that but I found the 15 gallon column for $80 at Petsmart & the bag of Fluval stratum was on sale at my LFS for $5 a bag. That's the way I went. This is it right now

Here's my 15g column :)

Attachments

• image-2296717511.jpg
    image-2296717511.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 58
You can save the root tabs if you're going to use eco-complete.

I've had many 5-gallon tanks in the past. They're great for breeding small 1-inch fish.

David

Back
Top Bottom