Its always something.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know it can get worse first, but it's been 83 or above for a few days, plus using ick attack, which has worked wonderfully for me in the past. I just feel like it should at the very least be on a decline by now.
I've never lost a fish to ick, but I've also never had such a hard time with treatment either.

83 is not high enough to kill pick that is why you did not see any improvement. With the tank at the proper tamp now you should see improvements at any time now. Perhaps you could try getting a different med.

The actual temperature is debatable. There is a wide range in what you will find online, and I know I've personally had success at 82.
Plus, I've been reading more lately about super strains of ich that aren't being killed even at temps in the high 80/low 90 range. I don't know. It's just discouraging.
I may be looking into stronger meds of they don't start looking better in a day or two, I'm just hoping to avoid it if I can.

The actual temperature is debatable. There is a wide range in what you will find online, and I know I've personally had success at 82.
Plus, I've been reading more lately about super strains of ich that aren't being killed even at temps in the high 80/low 90 range. I don't know. It's just discouraging.
I may be looking into stronger meds of they don't start looking better in a day or two, I'm just hoping to avoid it if I can.

If the angel is as bad as you say he is I'd go with the stronger meds as soon as possible.

I now have a second glofish showing the same signs as the first. White, flaky scales on his body, possible bruise, but this one also has tattered fins.
I'm thinking either there is some kind of bacteria/virus in the tank, or the tank has developed a bully.
The first one got better after a couple of days in the hospital tank with a little salt. I plan to isolate this one as well, but I'll be keeping an eye on the tank to see of anyone else starts to show symptoms.
If I decide I need to treat with meds, is maracyn 2 a good broad-spectrum, since I'm not sure what I'm dealing with? For that reason, it's a last resort, but I don't want the whole tank getting sick. I'd like to have something on hand, if it comes to that.

Also, some good news: the angel is finally clearing up nicely. Still a couple of spots, but he's looking MUCH better. :)

Just bumped up my temps in our aquarium to 86 today... Was at 78 and its been gradually increased this whole day... Fish seem to be fine w the increased temp. I sure hope so. Stressed out over doing this to them. :0(

Glad your ich finally cleared up!

I think there is definitely some form(s) of super-ich showing up. I had it in a cool water tank and could only go so warm. I ended up removing my gold mystery snail and treating with Cupramine at the recommended dose. After three weeks the ich was worse, not better! I kept testing the copper levels and they were "perfect" according to customer support. I finally realized I was going to lose my stock if I didn't bump it up to a stronger dose--and that worked. I had to hold the stronger dose for a week extra, but it completely cleared up and all is well. They have been spot-free and happy for two weeks now.

Just like diseases in people, the "bugs" out there are becoming resistant to medications.

Back
Top Bottom