It's been a while...pH adjustment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreaknyc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey There...

It's been quite a while since I've posted. Have been overseas...

Anyway, I have a 75 gal planted tank. Only a few community fish left (angels, clown loaches, tetras, etc.). I have been gone for quite a while and am returning to my tank and hobby. I originally had a CarboPlus CO2 system but it broke while I was gone. I ordered a new one and it is being sent to me in the mail, however, I checked my pH and it's pretty low. It's at 6.0-6.5. Now I understand that adding CO2 lowers the pH, so I'm concerned that when I reinstall my CarboPlus system, the pH will go even lower and that could adversely affect everything in my tank. What should I do?

Also, my one of my light bulbs burned out, so that's coming in the mail as well. Right now I have about 140watts lighting the tank, but with the bulb on it's way, I'll return to around 200.

Any other advice btw?

Looking forward to getting my tank back in tip top shape.

Thanks!

Cancel your carbo plus order. Seriously. Those things are JUNK. Plus, on a 75 gallon, you'd need 2-3 carbo units to provide adequate CO2.

The reason your pH is so low is because the Carbo+ unit uses your Kh to create CO2. Kh is what buffers water. Without it, your pH drops, and CO2 injection becomes a scary procedure.

Test your tanks Kh levels...without good water changes when using a carbo+, your water chemistry is all outta whack.

So, cancel the carbo plus and instead get yourself a CO2 regulator, a 5 or 10lb CO2 cylinder, and then buy/build a reactor (or diffuser) and you'll be in much better shape.
A pressurized CO2 system rarely breaks, and in fact is much cheaper than a carbo plus. Initially carbo+ might seem cheaper, but you've gotta think maintenance (and in your case, complete replacement).
CO2 refills are $10-$15 most places and a 10lb fill would easily last you more than 6 months, compared to your $45 carbon block that might last 2 months before needing replacing. And I know a lot of people have to replace that metal sleeve that holds the carbon block about every other block replacement...and that thing is like $30 too.

Rip off.

Wow! I had no idea the Carbo Plus is lame. Thanks for the info! So if I cancel my Carbo Plus order, what can I do to maintain the CO2 while I'm waiting to buy/build my reactor? Also, I'm SO new to building something like that, where should I start? Where's the best place to buy the CO2 regulator and cylinder? Is there a possibility of the cylinder exploding? I know it sounds lame, but am always concerned about an airtank. Anyway, thanks SO much for the information and help. I really appreciate it. Or if there is already a thread that explains the basics of a CO2 regulator, can you link me to it?

Thanks a million!

check the stickies in the planted tank forum they have all the info on pressurized CO2 you need, no worries on the tank exploding CO2 tanks are pretty hefty, and the best and cheapest place i have found to get pressurized CO2 stuff is ebay, just search for Milwaukee regulator

While I do prefer teh Milwaukee regulator, JBJ also makes one that's very similar to the milwaukee, that other people prefer. Both have warranties, so go with whatever fits your budget.

and a CO2 tank can't 'explode' because CO2 isn't a volitile gas. In fact CO2 is used to put out fires.
There are only 2 concerns:
1. that the valve on top is broken off, causing the cylinder to become a missle for a few hundred feet. - solution is to make sure it can't get knocked over hard enough to break brass threads.
2. that the cylinder leaks its entire load of CO2 into a small room. - CO2 will make you sleepy, and then suffocate you...however it's heavier than the air we breathe so it collects on the floor. As long as it's not a sealed, small room, you have little to fear. As long as you make sure your fittings are tight when setting up the tank, you have nothing to fear.

In all actuality, those elderly people you see with oxygen tanks....are at a much greater risk for problems, since Oxygen is very flammable, and they are toting those cylinders around outdoors, up concrete stairs, and the valves on them are smaller, and easier to break.

CO2 is so safe you don't even need a special license to refill cylinders. :)

Terrific. I'll investigate which one is within my budget and begin the process of putting one together myself. Looking forward to it.

In the meantime, what is your advice on temporary CO2 while I am getting the CO2 reactor? I was at a fish store a few days ago and I was looking at their display tank which was BEAUTIFUL and I asked what they do for CO2 and they said they use liquid from some sort of bottle that remains in the tank for a couple of weeks. Anyone heard of it? If you don't recommend it, any advice on what to do while I'm waiting on my materials for the reactor?

Thanks!

The only liquid substitute for CO2 that I am aware of is Flourish Excel. A single dose would not last several weeks however. It works well, but some plants are sensitive to it. It's also not very cost effective in larger tanks. As a short term solution it may or may not be worth it in a tank as large as yours.

Back
Top Bottom