its eating its friends!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcarlilesiu

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok... "it" represents an unknown culprit. I looked in my aquarium this morning and counted 3 white clouds about 4 times. Yesterday or the day before, there were 6. There is no trace of any of them. The only fish that i have that is large enough to fit them in his mouth is this guy...

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/gfeather.html

however, he isn't supposed to eat fish. Anybody with experience on this guy would be greatly appreciated.

It is a Synodontis sp. It will definitley eat what it can fit in it's mouth. How large is yours?

IMO, whether he ate them dead or alive, this is likely your culprit.

hmm.. most cases i have read call them "community" with the only variation being ones in breeding conditions. He is decent sized, probably 4" long not counting the fin. His mouth is def. large enough to fit a white cloud in.

I saw these guys going to town on a dead fish in their tank at the pet store today actually, kinda ironic I suppose lol

jcarlilesiu said:
hmm.. most cases i have read call them "community" with the only variation being ones in breeding conditions. He is decent sized, probably 4" long not counting the fin. His mouth is def. large enough to fit a white cloud in.

They'd be fine with larger fish, but not smaller. I know a friend of mine who lost an entire school of neon tetras to these guys. I doubled checked LiveAquaria to make sure, and even they recommend keeping them with only cichlids of the same or larger size, and label them as Semi-Agressive.

Of course, each fish is different in temperment. I'm sure there are some out there that who are peaceful, and some that are not. HTH

I read somewhere if they have whiskers like that (like my pictus), they will eat anything that will fit in their mouths. Beware of the whiskers. :lol:

Well, just because they eat smaller fish doesn't mean their aggressive. They just do it because they're hungry and they can.

17cm? I have seen one of these at MLFS about 14 INCHES long...
It may have been a different Species though.... And yeah i agree with the whiskers guy, if its got them it will eat anything in front of it that it can fit in it's mouth!

Back
Top Bottom