It's official: he's gone...but where?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosk1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
One of my clown loaches is indeed gone. I moved everything in my tank looking for him. All fish accounted for, except him. But where did he go? I don't think he got out because the hood doesn't have any major gaps, and I couldn't find him on the floor. And if he died, even if the other fish ate him (and they do seem fatter than they should), wouldn't there still at least be the head left over? I'm baffled.

Related question: as I was moving everything around, I stirred up a bunch of crap. Should I do another pwc right away, or just let it all settle and do my normal weekly pwc/vac on Sunday night?

It is possible the other fish ate all of the remains. As far as the crud goes, it depends on how much crud. I am a bit anal and would do the pwc.

My clown loach could fit in the most peculiar smallest places... places I never thought he could fit... He would come out VERY RARELY...

Do you have any castles or decorations that might have a cubby hole he could be lodged in? If you do just leave him alone, he will come out we he needs to, and then you can remove the decoration if you want...

Good thought...but no. There is absolutely nothing he could hide in where I wouldn't have found him. Weird...

Sorry about your loss, if the fish is indeed gone. :( Your other fish could have eaten it, I'm sure. I've had some of mine vanish without a trace. 8O

My clowns would hide in very very small places as well. I actually thought my Oscar ate all 3 of my clown loaches. A few days later I saw them all swimming around. Tripple check all of your decorations, this is where mine would hide.

I would do a water change ASAP to get the gunk out. But I too don't like to look at gunk in the tank. You should see me with the 150 African Cichlid tank. I have that gravel vac out at least twice on the weekends when I am home to be able to look at the tank. :D

Yes, I have had about 8 fish vanish, one 5 inch Pleco all I saw after he was missing was the cartiliginous parts of its mouth. The others, without a trace. They die and get consumed before I notice the school is fewer.

Back
Top Bottom