ITS THAT TIME AGAIN! NAME THAT INVERT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onah

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK I just found a new LFS and decided to go check it out, when i was checking out the tanks, i noticed 2 things;exceptionally clean tanks and alot of these what appeared to be ramshorns everywhere! there were diff though some light walnut shells as well as golden, but the snails it self was a reddish orange color, i immediatly bought the 2 largest ones, about the size ofa dime, a bit smaller even, and came home. it wasnt till i got home that i realized they werent ramshorns, welll thats the thing i dont know, they dont have a door attached to the foot and they are bright red,lol. help me i want to know what they are!!!! lol
img_709838_0_ec7d6c36669b58e5dca293a23e14aff0.jpg

img_709838_1_22bf82e447f346cb8d8391ff27439c22.jpg

I think they are ramshorns. The ones I have look similar to those. If they aren't ramshorns, it will be interesting to find out what they are. :)

Something I learned *very* recently is that there are at least two distinctly different species of snails that are commonly called "ramshorns." One is much more common in Europe, the other in the USA.

I learned this on the forums at petshrimp.com; lots of the folks there were talking about having ramshorns in their planted tanks and I was like, "Why would you do that? Ramshorns just destroy live plants!!!" To which the reply was that one of the two species sold by that common name eats up live plants, the other one doesn't, and it's this other one that is a great snail for a planted tank.

If anyone's interested in getting the details, just go to the forums at petshrimp.com and do a search for "ramshorn" and I'm sure the thread will come right up.

Yeah, it's a ramshorn. It looks like Marisa cornuarietis, which is the plant eater. The other is Planorbidae sp., the real tiny ones that for the most part, do not.

I gotta disagree. I don't know what young Marisas look like, but from the pic (esp the bottom one) it looks more like the other species. If the biggest ones were smaller than a dime, I bet they were the Planorbidae. I spend a good part of my day watching my various ramshorn species frolic, and in my unbiased opinion, the little guys are way better. Good job. :)

Great link.

It's hard to grow these guys beyond 1". Right now I only have one that's bigger than that, and I breed them. But I imagine it depends on the species.

Back
Top Bottom