I've got a freaked out barb, and me too! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishNewbee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently added 3 albino tiger barbs to my 22 gal tank to join the 3 regular tiger barbs already living there (only 6 fish in the tank). Water levels seem great, no ammonia, no nitrites. Everyone was getting along fine for the first few days.

One evening I was watching TV and the fishes were supposed to be sleeping when I was completely startled by "thrashing" noises in my tank. When I went to observe them, the largest female, who is normally very calm was swimming around frantically. I thought she was going to try to jump out of the tank. After watching her for a few minutes, she seemed totally panicked. I immediately moved her over to the "hospital" tank and went to bed, thinking she'd be dead by morning. It's been three days now and she seems totally fine in the smaller tank, no visible signs of illness, although her belly is pretty large. (I found babies in the tank about a week and a half ago in the larger tank; pretty sure they were hers).

She is somewhat calmer now but still seems to be swimming a little more erratically than she ever used to. She does not seem to be struggling in her swimming or anything though. Does anybody have any idea what this could be? I figured that if she was diseased she would have passed by now, but she eats normally and swims normally, except for the "faster" more erratic behavior.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!:confused:

I have five diamond tetras, four males and one female. The one female does what you are describing from time to time. I think it is her way of showing the others that she isn't afraid.

After feeding the female will chase the other four males into each of the four corners. It is amazing to watch, she doesn't nip or anything. She just shakes and brushes against them until they are where she wants. She will then swim frantically making sure they all stay in their designated corners. After about 3 minutes she grows tired of chasing and then they school again.

Some fish are weird I think, as long as they are eating and swimming normal - and no harm is being done - I can't complain.

If those were actually her babies, congrats!! You didn't notice any eggs?

I couldn't believe it either! A lot of the research I've done suggests that tiger barbs aren't the easiest fish to breed, and I had just moved them to a new tank! I'm sure they were fry, super tiny, long silver-white little guys with 2 black specks for eyes. I tried to save a few but was unsuccessful. I never saw any eggs. Now that I know these guys are into that, I'm keeping an eye out!

Thanks for the comments on your female. That does make me feel better. She just used to be so calm, but now that the other 3 barbs have been added, maybe she is just reasserting herself. She appears totally healthy and I think I'm going to add her back into the main tank in a few days.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom